No point in buying a Miele

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Paid £1100 for a Miele W5922 washing machine a couple of years ago. I know it's a lot of money, but it'll go through at least 2 washes a day and the 10 year parts & labour guarantee gave us peace of mind too.... that was until it conked out.
The valve that directs the water to various parts of the machine had become stuck and the machine wouldn't operate... so rang Miele. Couldn't get a technician out for 7 days ! In the meantime we're left thinking that the machine would be back up and away in a week's time, so not a major panic just an inconvenience.
The technician called, had a look at it, diagnosed what was wrong and said that Miele would arrange an appointment for someone to come out to fix it. They did.... for another 10 days later ! Pretty damn annoyed, I may as well have bought two cheaper machines and kept one as a backup. Would certainly saved me the cost of two and a half weeks of laundry bills.

My advice...

Miele? Don't bother.

p.s. The 10 year guarantee is nothing of the sort either. It's 10,000 hours of operation... and with no idea of telling how many hours you've used you're out on a limb really. :/

Sponsored Links
I have a big dilemma when choosing products for the home.

Sometimes, you could by 2 or 3 of a cheaper model (or more) for the same price as a premium one, and I often wonder which would last longer.

I have an older Indesit WM which everyone I speak to turns their nose up at, joking, "Why are they called Indes*it? Cos when they break down you're In de s*it!"

We bought it in 1999 on special offer (around £200).

It has broken down, but considering its age, how much it's been used over the years and how much it cost to repair, it's still been a phenominal bargain.

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/power-for-2-machines.334077/#2485082

OK, the repairs equal 50% of the purchase price, but I think £300 for 13 years of washing up to 5 people's clothes, working virtually every day is damn good.

Watch it now, it'll die tomorrow.... ;)

p.s. The 10 year guarantee is nothing of the sort either. It's 10,000 hours of operation...

WTF?

If it was sold on the basis of 10 yrs parts and labour, then it's guaranteed 10 yrs parts and labour. Don't let these big companies wriggle out. If they don't play ball, then head for your local trading standards.

10,000 hours! :rolleyes: Has it got a meter inside that registers the hourly use? And 17 days for a repair is ridiculous.

Rant over! :p

The technician told me that my machine even though it was 2.5 years old was in fact 4.5 years through it's guarantee. We have your fairly average family of 2 adults, 3 kids. Not exactly hammering the machine, so from now on we're using the short wash options to save a few hours. :/

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something? How do they justify turning 10 years into 10,000 hours?

Surely it should be 87,600 hours?

As you rightly say, no point paying a premium for a long guarantee. Especially when you don't get it. Yet another example of a company taking British consumers (we used to be subjects or citizens) for mugs.

...and the best bit is I sent an email to Miele Customer Services to complain and have absolutely nothing in reply now two weeks later. Certainly the last Miele product I buy. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Swedish brand ISE though.

...and the best bit is I sent an email to Miele Customer Services to complain and have absolutely nothing in reply now two weeks later. Certainly the last Miele product I buy. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Swedish brand ISE though.

Re-send your email demanding they explain within 72 hours, in laymans terms, how the guarantee is now 10,000 hours and not 10 years as originally stated. Do you have any paperwork stating 10 years warranty? If so then you pretty much have them by the sort and curlies.
State that if you do not receive a satisfactory explanation within this 72 hours, (that is 72 normal day hours not 72 working hours), you will be contacting your local Trading Standards Office to discuss the matter with them under the Misrepresentation of Goods Act. You may also contact the local media to alert other members of the General Public of your dissatisfaction with their Customer Services attitude.
If they fail to asnwer then got to the Trading Standards and contact the local paper. Show them you mean business and it is not an idle threat.

I bought a seimans dish washer a few years back in better times paid a few bob for it as you do if youve got the cash ,it only lasted 2-3years ,now when things are abit tighter bought a Beco washing machine" cheap as chips", a year ago it gets thrashed daily and still going strong,

i buy the cheapest appliance i can as long as they have the functions i want, never buy an extended warrenty and chuck it in the bin when it breaks, some last years and some last guarantee plus 1 week, who cares, everything is so cheap now anyway, i would never buy a top of the range name, as this post describes exactly how they treat you

That begs the question...
How would they treat you if you're name was Sir some rich well connected guy or other, and you were calling from Belgravia.
Service engineer out same day I wouldn't wonder.

17days is shocking.

I wouldnt be supprised if there is some small print which says words to the effect of '10years or 10k hours which ever comes first'.

Try contacting Miele head office in germany, [email protected] and complain to them.

I was getting no response to a complaint about a certain German tool maker from their French importers, so emailed the company direct and the proverbial hit the fan, it was sorted immediately.

Certainly the last Miele product I buy.
Might be just the way you're feeling at the moment, I have Miele washing machine and Dishwasher and very pleased with it and they are well built, I too have the 10 yrs parts/warranty, I have been though 3 washing machines in 9 yrs with 2 x Hotpoint and Hoover, just bad luck(?) Did have a slight problem with the washing machine but I've used the any repairer companies providing it's recommended and approved by Miele and was done the next day. You don't have to use Miele repairer unless you're on a difference agreement? I'm using Domestic and General which is approved via Miele

Edit: Have re-read the warranty, agreement and small print, there is no mention of 10,000hrs :confused:

That begs the question...
How would they treat you if you're name was Sir some rich well connected guy or other, and you were calling from Belgravia.
Service engineer out same day I wouldn't wonder.

they probably get the same service they just buy another because it doesn't hurt them as much, they probably don't even know where it is or how to use it, thats a job for a slave why should they even know its gone wrong

Sponsored Links
Back