No power electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a redring glow electric shower. It’s pretty much brand new all the hoses ect the actual unit itself is too. Was fitted about half a year ago. Has been working fine. Used it half an hour ago and now all of a sudden I’ve gone to turn it on again and there’s zero power.
Checked the fuse board to see if it’s tripped and pulled the main chord. Still nothing. There’s no power at all no lights showing no noise.
Taken the front off and checked the little button is clicking that usually turns it on that hasn’t jammed or came loose.
Im absolutely useless with electricals it’s 30degrees in the uk today and in desperate for a shower
Any help or guidance would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Probably a loose connection. If you’re useless with electricals, is it worth providing information on how to test or indeed if you have test equipment?

Sponsored Links
Got one. Any information on how to use it would be great. Think I’m abit out of my depth here

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you’re out of your depth, then it might not be worth continuing. However if you feel confident testing live components then you’ll need to select Volts Ac on your multimeter if it’s autoranging this is fine, if it’s manual ranging then select one higher than UK expected voltages, so if you have one at say 300vac then this will be ok. If not go one higher, often up to 750VAc. AC is usually denoted by a wavy line ~. If you have a 2 pole voltage tester then this should be AC anyway.

Carefully remove the shower cover and test between the Live and Neutral and your looking for a reading of approx 230-240Vac.

Reading was 0. Absolutely nothing going to it so presume it’s an issue elsewhere maybe with the pull chord

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 49
Reading was 0. Absolutely nothing going to it so presume it’s an issue elsewhere maybe with the pull chord
Yep, next likely culprit, same applies - being careful try to measure between L and Earth (which is what I should have said regards the shower, in case of a broken/loose neutral).

Do you always switch it on and off at the pullcord? If yes then good odds thats failed. Isolate before removing the cover (might be loose wires inside), look for and rectify anything obvious wrong then power it up and test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back