No power to all sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have just had my electric meter changed by Scottish Power.Unfortunately i wasn't present when the replacement was made by Amey,the coy who changes the sockets for Scottish Power,and after the meter was changed there was no power to the sockets ,sothe Amey bloke deemed the wiring was unsafe and hence turned everything off.I know for a fact the wiring is find as i had it checked 6 weeks earlier by a qualified electrican.Both Amey and Scottish Power are refusing to do anything and claim the problem is with the wiring in the house.Has anybody come across this situation before.I would point out everything was working fine before the meter was changed.Any advice would be very helpful

Sponsored Links
Do the lights work? is it just the sockets? If so how have they isolated the sockets?

Your option is to get the electrician out who signed off the wiring and ask him to reinstate the sockets. Get him to to test the circuits before and give you a statement that the wiring was sound. You can then issue a claim against the supplier for the costs of the repair.

Obviously make sure the person who does the testing/reinstatement is properly qualified.

They are not allowed to leave you without power. Have you got anything in writing? I would "go to the top" of Scottish Power and get them to sort it.

Sponsored Links
Hi i don't currently live at the property but at present nothing works as the power has been disconnected by use of an isolator ?I have an domestic electrical installation condition report carried out by the electrician on the 26/03/2019 that states everything is find,so is it possible the guy from Amey has wired the new meter incorrectly and that's why it doesn't work?Apparently it wasn't tripping the fuse box there simply isn't any power to that circuit.I can't see how that can be dangerous if there is no power going through.I also understand these guys who fit the meters aren't electricians but just qualified to change meters.So in my opinion he has made a mistake and trying to cover it up by blaming the wiring

Its possible he knelt on a wire or knocked something causing it to loosen. He's probably not qualified to fix it, so you get a a qualified electrician to check and reconnect. You pay and claim. Not much else you can do.

Unfortunately I am not back until next week.There is not much hope of getting my electrician costs refund unless I go to the ombudsman .There has been a similar problem shown on Ameys reviews and again both Scottish Power and Amey refused to pay as they denied responsibility

Of course they are responsible. It worked before they came and you have a good condition report. In the meantime point out you are not paying the bills till it is sorted and you will deduct how ever many days standing charge it was off for. Tell them you are cancelling the direct debit even if you don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back