No room thermostat just TRVs. What would happen if...

Yep! Christmas shopping at Asda. :rolleyes: you can walk around and freely look at things without having to bump into zombies.

I'll place a reminder on my phone to take the pictures :p

Sponsored Links
Valves and auto air vents

I seem to have many of these manual air vents. Is it worth changing them all to auto vents? Though why are there so many! I would need to do an additional 8 - 12 vents if I were to convert.

Valve 1

Valve 2

Storage Tank. Fed by a 15mm pipe. I'll look at upgrading it if I can find a 22mm source as it should fill it up quicker. Though I don't think I'll find one, if not I'll leave as is.

Storage Tank Size

F&E Tank. Though when the system is drained I have to use the tap in the middle of the picture to quick fill the system. Otherwise it won't fill or maybe it would but would take a very long time.

Valve wiring

Another shot of the storage tank

Cylinder + Immersion - Is it worth upgrading this also - any benefit?

Cylinder Connections

Cylinder Connections

Boring. ;)

Not a hybrid at all. Plain Jane S Plan.

And leave the tank's pipe as 15mm. Won't make any difference.

And unless they were removed for the benefit of the 'photo shoot', some of those pipes in loft need some insulation.

Almost forgot original question

:?: Need to know the following please. All the radiators have TRV's fitted, and I am going to set these to (4) after I fine tune the balancing (trv heads not fitted yet) if all the TRVs were to shutdown how would the boiler cope? :?:

Your system should have a bypass, preferably automatic, between the flow and return after boiler, now we have established it's S Plan.

Sponsored Links
And I was all excited when I took those pictures. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice on not upgrading the 15mm pipe to the tank.

Right at least I now know for sure its an S Plan.

Nope, those pipes don't have insulation. In fact the whole loft needs to be done as the depth isn’t quite enough... it’s on my list.

So this bypass what would it look like?

Lastly what are all those air vents about? Do I really need that many? There’s too many :(

Maybe not exciting, but S Plan is my preferred set-up.

The bypass maybe just a gate valve on a pipe linking F and R pipes, or one of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell...s Valve 22mm&gclid=CLuorpT38KwCFcEKfAoddAm3BQ

Being in the loft, your F and R pipes are the highest part of the system, and as such may collect air. Instad of this air lodging somewhere you wouldn't want it, these tails with their vents help trap the air.

I would leave them as they are. If you haven't bled them for a while, undo the caps until water comes out. Will need venting after a drain down, especially.

Ian

Must admit I haven't seen anything like that. I will have a closer look where the boiler is housed. Though as everything so far seems to be in order with the S Plan setup, albeit the bathroom rads turning on when the water is turned you would think/hope it was installed somewhere.

For the moment all but one of the rads I've left on full. Though the weird thing is that it also seems to cool down at some point even though a TRV head isn’t fitted just yet (maybe the boiler is turning off by magic).

I'll look into the room stat if the TRVs are not working to my liking unless there is a major disadvantage to not having one.

Great! I'll leave the air vents as is then, would have been a lot of work & unnecessary cost for very little gain.

Next time I drain down the system I'm planning to do a DIY power flush which would be in the summer sometime, as I've got some initial discharge of black and brownish water that is present on only a couple of the rad's. Will also be looking to check the TF1 next week to see if it's caught anything :)

I'll look into the room stat if the TRVs are not working to my liking unless there is a major disadvantage to not having one.
I can think of one - you waste fuel.

The TRVs will close down when the room has reached temperature; but the boiler will carry on running until it reaches the temperature set on the boiler thermostat. Depending on how cold it is outside, the boiler could run for a long time before it shuts down.

A thermostat (technically an "interlock") is compulsory in all new installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back