No Xmas parties this year? Shame I missed Boris party last year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59505975

Covid bereaved families 'sickened' over No 10 Christmas party

Families who lost loved ones during the pandemic have said they are "sickened" by a No 10 Christmas party held during last year's Covid restrictions.

The party took place on 18 December, with a source telling the BBC "several dozen" people attended.

But the Covid restrictions operating at the time banned such events.

Boris Johnson - who was not at the party - said no Covid rules were broken, but No 10 has refused to explain how party-goers complied.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said it was "one rule for them and another rule for everybody else", adding that it "sends completely the wrong message" to the public.

Sponsored Links
The government have put out advice that Xmas parties are not to be cancelled, and bosses are unable to stop you from attending such an event (according to the news on radio 1)

The government have put out advice that Xmas parties are not to be cancelled, and bosses are unable to stop you from attending such an event (according to the news on radio 1)
More importantly, what was the instruction last year?

In our local NHS Trust the Christmas parties have been banned, although it was only a meal and drinks at the local. The alternative suggested is a distanced meet-up after work outside involving no alcohol. There have been official 'rules' issued from the band 7 and 8 people (management) to each of the teams disallowing colleagues from meeting up outside of work socially. I am not making this up -- it was a response to two members of the same team getting Covid, who had seen each other outside of work beforehand.

Thankfully my company are funding our whole party including rum punch welcoming drinks!

Sponsored Links
I decided a while ago that we will all be ignoring the 'rules' should any be enforced for Christmas and this only strengthens my confidence in the decision. I am not going to sit at home knowing the elderly of my family are spending another Christmas alone. They might not be here in a few years' time and I cherish the time I can be with them.

I decided a while ago that we will all be ignoring the 'rules' should any be enforced for Christmas and this only strengthens my confidence in the decision. I am not going to sit at home knowing the elderly of my family are spending another Christmas alone. They might not be here in a few years' time and I cherish the time I can be with them.

I'm in complete agreement.

p5jsfh2e3s381.jpg

Christmas please, not Xmas.
Here’s a holiday surprise that only the dictionary can provide. Do you find the word Xmas, as an abbreviation for Christmas, offensive? Many people do, but the origin of this controversial term might change your mind!
X represents the Greek letter chi, the initial letter in the word Χριστός (Chrīstos). And what does Χριστός mean? “(Jesus) Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word Christ for hundreds of years.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/xmas-christogram/

Andy11 cannot be expected to be a Scripture scholar.

his opinions are not necessarily based on knowledge.

Xmas needs less finger work and is accepted by the majority.

Correct, Christ is shortened to X out of laziness. I was taught at school always to spell Christmas in full.

It obviously wasn’t a very good school.
Anybody with even a couple of years of Greek would know that.

We must be really lazy in Hornchurch as Hornchurch is usually referred to as 'Hx' when written down. I always assumed the 'x' meant 'church'.

Sponsored Links
Back