Noggins for beginners.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting some noggins in floor joists.
The gap seems to vary slightly as you go.
If I cut a noggin that is slightly smaller than the gap,
is there some way to wedge it, or do I have to cut another?
I thought you could measure once and cut a dozen noggins but....:cry::cry::cry:
is there a more accurate way to measure the gap than the tape, as it is so
critical?

Sponsored Links
Measure all gaps and start with widest , if you cut too short just move it to next narrowest position.

I was looking at some YouTubes about curing 'bouncy' floors.
Some joiners were fitting wooden 1 x 3 'strapping'.
These were screwed across the joists covering the whole room, 12" apart.
Is this a good method??

Sponsored Links
I was looking at some YouTubes about curing 'bouncy' floors.
Some joiners were fitting wooden 1 x 3 'strapping'.
These were screwed across the joists covering the whole room, 12" apart.
Is this a good method??
if it was me I would just sister the joists -easier said than done if you have loads of services in the way though

if it was me I would just sister the joists -easier said than done if you have loads of services in the way though
With sistering does it have to be the total length of the joist, or can you do the middle part only?

End to end i would say
8ft lengths are probably the longest I could get down the trapdoor.
Could I glue and screw two lengths butted together, then another piece overlapping the joint?

8ft lengths are probably the longest I could get down the trapdoor.
Could I glue and screw two lengths butted together, then another piece overlapping the joint?
Are you working in a basement? What’s the span?

about 15ft
You could make up a sister joist using 18mm ply ripped to depth of existing and screwed and glued together to make a joist 54mm wide .Using 4-8-4ft either side of 8-8ft lengths ( 16ft )Less bulky if you have limited access .Ideally then bolts these to existing joists .

You could make up a sister joist using 18mm ply ripped to depth of existing and screwed and glued together to make a joist 54mm wide .Using 4-8-4ft either side of 8-8ft lengths ( 16ft )Less bulky if you have limited access .Ideally then bolts these to existing joists .
Thank you.

I am fitting some noggins in floor joists.
The gap seems to vary slightly as you go.
If I cut a noggin that is slightly smaller than the gap,
is there some way to wedge it, or do I have to cut another?
I thought you could measure once and cut a dozen noggins but....:cry::cry::cry:
is there a more accurate way to measure the gap than the tape, as it is so
critical?

If the joists are vertical, lay the wood on top of the gap at 90 degrees and put your pencil in the gap and draw it. That saves measuring.
Also it's not as critical as you imply, if you bend the wood a few mm to the side. It's just the last one has to fit right.
If it's really far out you could always use some folding wedges to make up the difference.
Another option is to do herringbone struts as they would just change angle slightly as necessary. I used them on existing 100 year old joists and they worked better than trying to noggin them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back