Noise in my flat and consequences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had issues with my noise for different people living in flat below me. This blew up when this time this I was washing up noisily at 8 am (my window open for half of it) and the more gobby of the two girls below me started aggressively shouting at me and this time I bit and told her to shut her window she then shouted that I should angrily i then said put up with it or move out. The move out comment caused upset. She went to landlord who is hassling our management company. And our head director is trying to bring peace. I have laminate in hallway but carpet with thick underlay laid on top and laminate is just in hall. Carpet in two rooms and vinyl in kitchen and bathroom

Can they legally force me to put carpet in bathroom and kitchen instead of vinyl or underlay under vinyl?

Can they legally stop me having my eight year old over for two or three nights? This is my biggest concern. No hint of this though.

Anything else?

Regarding laminate in hall, if I have to take it up and carpet it so be it, I have carpet laid on top with underlay now so what's the difference.

I'm trying to apologise to the girls but they're not answering their door.

Sponsored Links
Nothing they can do as long as you are not intentional making a lot of noise .

Keital, normally I have a go at your workmanship. But this time I will say that Nothing should stop you seeing your child, children need both parents for a normal upbringing.

So crack on and live you life in your flat enjoying the time with your child.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to put a noise softener or pad on cupboard casing to reduce noise when door is closed?
20230626_113201.jpg

Show us a picture of the hinges; it may well be the case that a soft closer is available as a clip-on, specifically designed accessory. This just clicks into my Blum hinges:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Re the noise issue, tell them to contact the council if they think they have a valid complaint.
When they see the extent they'll have to go to to stop you washing up, they'll give up

If they want to live where it's quiet they should go and live in a nunnery.
I bet they don't tiptoe around in soft soled slippers and gently close all their doors.

Regarding cupboard doors, you could put a thin strip of draughtproof foam down the centre bar, but this will only deaden it, not stop it completely. If they could still hear it after that they must be able to hear you fart!

There are self-adhesive clear neoprene rubber "dots" on the market which can help reduce noise. They should routinely be fitted to all new kitchen doors by the fitter

Amazon sell them, here, but loads more people do them. Cheap as chips and worth trying as a first measure at under £2 per 100. You need 2 per door

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite common for flats to have a lease or tenacy agreement that forbids hard flooring.

Buffers for your kitchen cabinets are very easy. I have the Blum type as shown, but you can get independent pneumatic buffers cheaply. Much better than the plastic dots.

1687802446340.png

You can also get shelf-liners to prevent plates and pans clattering. In bars we use a sort of hard plastic hygienic mesh or mat, you can wash it in the sink.

Last edited:
Not illegal or in breach of tenancy to see your children or do the washing up, especially in normal waking hours, but mitigating measures are available to both as set out above. But hard flooring greatlymagnifies noise

Fellow tenants play music loudly through the night is a nuisance.

Blup

It is quite common for flats to have a lease or tenacy agreement that forbids hard flooring.

Buffers for your kitchen cabinets are very easy. I have the Blum type as shown, but you can get independent pneumatic buffers cheaply. Much better than the plastic dots.

View attachment 306804

You can also get shelf-liners to prevent plates and pans clattering. In bars we use a sort of hard plastic hygienic mesh or mat, you can wash it in the sink.
Screenshot_20230727_101112_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Found this but it doesn't say anything about sound reduction

I wouldn't worry about that, old bean. Potter around on your daily routine without a care for incidental sounds we all have to put up with on a daily basis. If your neighbours are complaining about rattling cups then they really need to wind their neck in.

I wouldn't worry about that, old bean. Potter around on your daily routine without a care for incidental sounds we all have to put up with on a daily basis. If your neighbours are complaining about rattling cups then they really need to wind their neck in.
I can be a late washer upper though. 11 30 pm sometimes. But I think they can hear through a closed window though

Get a plastic drainer rack or mat, and shelf liners.

The cost is trivial.

Don't wear your hobnailed boots indoors.

Have your hearing checked to see how much it has been damaged. Use ear defenders to reduce future damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back