Noise problem in my flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The current tenants in the flat below me and the two before have complained about the noise coming from my flat. It's a two story purpose built block of flats. They can hear me laugh, bathroom door slam. Walking on laminate in hallway. Shouting from kitchen to lounge. My kid when he stays over is very loud. Can I insulate the floor or something. Even get a professional company to do it?

I can't hear them.

My concern I'll end up with terrible tenants underneath if this carries on.

Sponsored Links
The current tenants in the flat below me and the two before have complained about the noise coming from my flat. It's a two story purpose built block of flats. They can hear me laugh, bathroom door slam. Walking on laminate in hallway. Shouting from kitchen to lounge. My kid when he stays over is very loud. Can I insulate the floor or something. Even get a professional company to do it?

I can't hear them.

Probably not much you can practically do about it.

how thick is the carpet?

do you have felt underlay? Or foam?

how old is the building?

Walking on laminate in hallway. Shouting from kitchen to lounge. My kid when he stays over is very loud. Can I insulate the floor or something. Even get a professional company to do it?

Have you tried wearing slippers, rather than shoes?

Sponsored Links
how thick is the carpet?

do you have felt underlay? Or foam?

how old is the building?

Building was built in 1975.

Not sure thickness of carpets. How do you tell?

No idea if it's foam or felt underneath. I need new carpets. Maybe get new ones with best sound proofing stuff underneath. There's vinyl in kitchen and bathroom.

They say they can hear me laugh. This is crazy. There must be a professional company somewhere that deals with this and supplies and/or fits soundproofing materials?

Why can I hardly hear them?

My neighbour opposite (who can't hear anything once my door is shut) is worried we'll end up with dss druggies (in the flat below me) because no one else will want to stay there.

Another worrying thing is a friend of mine had a nutter living below him and the sound they made caused the guy to cut his internet, threaten him and all sorts. Noise affects people differently. Ended up going to court. Lots of stress. The guy below was threatened with prison or going into a psychiatric hospital. It was incredibly stressful for my friend and his wife.

Last edited:
felt underlay is I believe better for noise suppression. A dense carpet (feel it - it will be heavy) is better than a light one. Because it contains more wool, it will sadly cost more.

If you can find a local independent carpet company, they are likely to offer better prices and service than a well-known chain, but a personal recommendation will be best.

I'd expect a 1975 build to have concrete floors (not wood) so should be reasonable for noise. It will find its way through weak spots, such as where pipes or cables pass through the floor, sometimes in cupboards, and ducts for plumbing or cables.

Hard floors such as laminate are very bad for noise. In the hall try a thick doormat at least, and encourage "shoes off" which is also cleaner and more hygenic. There are underlays for vinyl made of a sort of woodpulp, but I have not used these.

try to arrange your noisy activities not to be over their bedroom or living room at times they will be in there.

if your neigbours have cut holes in their ceilings, eg. for downlights, these will allow noise to pass through. Thick plaster makes a tremendous difference.

Even if you have lots of noise suppression, there are always those neighbours that upon hearing the slightest noise, they big it up saying its really loud.
Unfortunately if you buy/rent a downstairs flat then noise from above is always likely.

My son in laws neighbour called the police to warn him of the noise he was making, he was on holiday, crazy neighbour .

Even if you have lots of noise suppression, there are always those neighbours that upon hearing the slightest noise, they big it up saying its really loud.
Unfortunately if you buy/rent a downstairs flat then noise from above is always likely.

I thought the previous tenants were just hypersensitive to noise. He smoked weed and worked shifts which didn't help.

But the current ones are nice ( work shifts too) and there's obviously a problem because all three different tenants have complained.

I personally like listening to lots of noise- people having sex, arguing etc it breaks up my mundane boring life . I loved travelling around Asia and listening to the mopedes outside. But I'm aware not everyone's like me.

I own the flat and am one of the directors in the block and below are just renters so they cant evict me. But three different tenants have complained and it I dont want nutters and or druggies moving in below. Gonna have to try something.

My five year old is a nightmare too when he's staying but he's a kid so there's only so much I can do. And he's not awake from 8 30 to 6 30

I was recommended to get a sound engineer out first before installing anything otherwise I could be wasting my money. Thing is I font see why I should be paying for this or the whole cost.

Quoted £1000 for testing and a report on advice needed.

Should I ask the landlords below to cough up half? Or speak to the directors and see if they'll pay something? (Doubtful.)

Last edited:
Got to be pragmatic about it.
Downstairs flats will always suffer some noise, it's the pleasure of living in a flat, especially modern "properties" (aka shoebox dormitories)
If people can't accept normal living noise level they should live in a detached property in the countryside.
My friend lives in Hammersmith West London and loves it, however I stayed overnight once and couldn't fall asleep because of the street noise.
If you ever end up with problematic tenants dealing drugs and having after hour parties, you will need to complain to the relevant authority.
No point stressing out about something that might never happen.
Don't spend a penny trying to please tenants who will eventually leave in any case.

Have previous tenants complained of the noise?

Get someone you trust to be in your flat doing normal stuff, talking to themselves etc. while your in the lower flat listening.
IF they will not allow this then let them go whistle. (but not too loudly)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back