Noise problem in my flat

Sponsored Links
I'm laying some new laminate soon and I bought noise reducing underlay.
Noise reducing underlay under laminate will do nothing unless its about 100mm thick dense rockwool or similar.

From a noise perspective, laminate is bad.

When you’re reading everyones’ hilarious replies to your posts on here presumably.

Seriously though, there are floor soundproofing solutions using exotic materials. See e.g. https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing_floors.php

Issues include how to cope with the change of floor level. But you need to understand how the sound is being carried. For example, do you and they have your windows open a lot? There is not much you can do about noise going out one window and in another.
My window's always open

Noise reducing underlay under laminate will do nothing unless its about 100mm thick dense rockwool or similar.

From a noise perspective, laminate is bad.
Is a rug or something I can put on top? I've already bought the stuff and it's in my garage

Sponsored Links
What is currently on the floor? Carpet?
Laminate. I was going to replace it with new laminate and this noise reducing underlay.

What would I put on instead. It's where u come into the flat in hallway

Laminate. I was going to replace it with new laminate and this noise reducing underlay.

What would I put on instead. It's where u come into the flat in hallway
If it's only the hallway, laminate is fine.
Rest of the flat, where you mostly live, carpet.

If it's only the hallway, laminate is fine.
Rest of the flat, where you mostly live, carpet.
Apparently lounge is worst. It's where my five year old and myself mostly are. It's carpet butvthey hear footsteps. I asked one of the girls to tell me more info on what is noisy and where.

Apparently lounge is worst. It's where my five year old and myself mostly are. It's carpet butvthey hear footsteps. I asked one of the girls to tell me more info on what is noisy and where.
If you replace carpet with laminate, it will be a lot worse for the tenants downstairs

More complaints. Would rugs on the laminate remove the problem or does the laminate in hall have to go?

They were complaining downstairs about the door knocking continuously with wind coming through open windows. Does this mean the building has structural problems and needs insulating? Surely this kind of sound shouldnt travel through the floor

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back