noise like a washing machine from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When heating comes on the whole house gets woken up with the noise .This lasts untill heaters are turned up or down.THe noise travels around various radiators at all timed programmes .Any ideas? Marie

Sponsored Links
dont know what your washing machine sounds like but the rad noise is probably air or noise from the water going through the rad valves

Sponsored Links
Do radiators heat up ok? Are you bleeding them constantly? Has the problem only just occured? What system do you have? Etc Etc.

Gas2Air said:
Do radiators heat up ok? Are you bleeding them constantly? Has the problem only just occured? What system do you have? Etc Etc.
I have only had the system in for 4 weeks I have bled them and reset the loop.It's a grants combi boiler oil heating system.It's all new to me as I had total control heating.

You really need to give us more information. If the system is is new from 4 week old then it may just be air or the plumber has overdosed on inhibitor. Pump set too high? Sorry i can't help at this time but find out as much as you can about the system and maybe help will come?

I wonder if this is a banging noise, or a rushing noise, or a bubbling noise, or a squirting noise?

Do the rads have Thermostatic Radiator Valves on then that are making a noise, and does the noise stop if they are turned hotter or colder?

JohnD said:
I wonder if this is a banging noise, or a rushing noise, or a bubbling noise, or a squirting noise?

Do the rads have Thermostatic Radiator Valves on then that are making a noise, and does the noise stop if they are turned hotter or colder?
The rads have thermostatic valves and they make a banging sound when first coming on .They stop for a while when turned up or down and come on later before settling.Thanks

Gas2Air said:
You really need to give us more information. If the system is is new from 4 week old then it may just be air or the plumber has overdosed on inhibitor. Pump set too high? Sorry i can't help at this time but find out as much as you can about the system and maybe help will come?
thanks for advice all appreciated

thomson said:
The rads have thermostatic valves and they make a banging sound when first coming on .They stop for a while when turned up or down and come on later before settling. Thanks

I suspect that your TRVs are not bi-directional, and are on the wrong end of the rad. You may find there is an arrow, indicating direction of flow, on the valve body. Was it a DIY installation, or professional?

JohnD said:
thomson said:
The rads have thermostatic valves and they make a banging sound when first coming on .They stop for a while when turned up or down and come on later before settling. Thanks

I suspect that your TRVs are not bi-directional, and are on the wrong end of the rad. You may find there is an arrow, indicating direction of flow, on the valve body. Was it a DIY installation, or professional?
It was a plumbing company,someone suggested what you just said but I thought he must be wrong as I got them professionally fitted .Anyway I'll contact the company and suggest they call back .86 miles ,thats what happens when you live in the back of beyond but they were well paid ,cheers thanks for advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back