Noisey central heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have been advised that the whine from my central heating system.
( the central heating system is 8mm micro bore from manifolds )
which is fed from a Baxi 105e combi, could be sludge in the system.

The system was not flushed before the new boiler was fitted.

If as suggested I require a system clean out, what in your expert opinions is the best, a power flush or a chemical clean ?.

And could you please tell me what is involved in these procedures and could a micro bore system stand a power flush, as someone suggested a power flush could melt my system.

regards Michael Foster

Sponsored Links
How lovely to see someone who posts under their name!

OK Michael, power flushing is difficult on a microbore system and few people know how to do it properly or have a suitable high head machine.

The other problem is that most microbore was fitted during the 60s and 70s as a cheap job. The double entry rad valves are difficult to find now.

Any acid treatment is likely to cause leaks which are difficult to fix. I would suggest you put in a can of Ferroquest for about a week and see if that fixes your problem. It will do no harm as long as you flush it out properly afterwards.

Having said that I dont expect a "whining" is caused by sludge. I would need to check it with a stethoscope to know what! However doing the chemical treatment will be very cheap and can only do some good.

Its difficult to know if the system needed to be power flushed when the new boiler was fitted. Perhaps the installer was lazy or just possibly the system really was very clean.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back