noisey water pump no heating or hw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my father has a problem with his heating witch is now my problem

its a open vented oil system

this is the problem currently the boiler fires on ok and heats but then cuts off
upstairs where the tank and pump are all the pipes are cold the pump is noisey and when you turn the screw no water comes out, thinking of changing the pump! however last night the upstairs rads where working and hotwater, only the downstairs rads where not working which lead me to think it was a motorised valve problem. so the pump must have been working last night if the uptairs heating etc was working ..right!

why is there no water coming out of the pump when bleeding?
does anyone think its the pump!

any ideas!

please, thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually if a pump is turning but on it's last legs the upstairs and hot water may work however the pump hasn't got enough power to overcome the resistance to downstairs.

Is the system split into multiple zones??
If it's one zone and the upstairs is working I'd be tempted to opt for the pump but more information on the system would certainly help before a proper diagnosis can be made

Could be a blocked cold feed.
Have you checked the small F+E tank has water in it?? It could have run dry

Thanks i must check that small tank

not sure about zones if upstairs would be separate from downstairs well theres a motorised valve to control temperature downstairs anyway, to recap no heat anywhere now or HW

Usually if a pump is turning but on it's last legs the upstairs and hot water may work however the pump hasn't got enough power to overcome the resistance to downstairs.

This may explain why the situ now is different from last night,i couldn't understand why upstairs rads and HW ok but not DS last night but today nothing is heating except boiler, looks like the pump but i will check the small tank .....thanks

Sponsored Links
If the pump is making a noise - it is probably running with NO WATER!
if when you try and bleed the pump, but no water comes out, it is probably running with NO WATER! ....do you see a link here!!

Instead of going off on tangents, get yourself up in that loft and check the F&E tank for water, and ensure the cold feed is not blocked

First rule of fault diagnosis, think methodically and check one thing at a time, in a sensible order, in this way you will quickly and accuately diagnose your problem

CHECK THE BL**DY TANK!! ;)

yeah thats what it was, small tank empty, the ballcock was hitting against the far side of the tank, all sorted thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back