Noisy radiator & boiler after new rad fitted (vid with sound)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We just had a new radiator fitted in our front room, no issues with noise at all beforehand. The day after it was fitted we started getting a really loud horn type noise out of one specific radiator (not the new one) it can get pretty loud and it seems the only way to get the noise to stop is to turn off the radiator. I've got a 10 sec vid showing the noise and how it instantly stops when I turn down the radiator:

The other noise that started on the same day is the boiler making a strange humming/vibrating noise, and just before writing this I noticed it stops when turning on the hot tap (may have been a one-off, but maybe not). You can hear the noise easily in this vid (it's much louder in person than the vid):

Can't call out the guy to take another look as we have covid in the house, so will wait until new year. In the meantime though the noise is getting annoying so thought I'd ask if there's a simple fix for this.

Sponsored Links
Pure guess:

Fluid vibration caused by the now unimpeded flow through the new radiator moving across a worn, cheap, backwards TRV.

Ah - for a complete novice do you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? As it only started right after the new rad was fitted (not the one in the vid either)

Certainly sounds like a vibrating jumper in the TRV. I presume the system was depressurised/drained to fit the new rad? Take the TRV head off completely, does it still do it? The Thermo head may just be holding the valve the exact point where it'll vibrate.

Is the clicking and clacking in vid 2 coming from the boiler too, or just the quieter rising humm/vibration?

Sounds like it could be diverter related.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Madrab - I've taken off the TVR head and no noise as of yet, which is very promising.

I've been on YouTube looking at vids of diverter issues with Vailant boilers and the noises are very similar to what I'm hearing with mine. If it does happen to be that, is this still safe to use over the coming weeks until I can get someone out to look at it?

Last edited:
Thank you Madrab - I've taken off the TVR head and no noise as of yet, which is very promising.

The amount of movement with a TRV is very small - 2>3mm so when the head's on the valve, it is already driving the pin down close to the seat of the valve, probably just enough for the washer/jumper to vibrate causing the noise. Only problem with removing it is it cant do its job any more

Who knows with a diverter @Phil_ldn, they can rattle on like that for ages before they start to cause any real problems or they can last days, it the proverbial 'how long is a piece of string'. Given the time of year I would suck in and see but be prepared for worst case and have someone set up just in case, if at all possible.

edited for some shocking grammer :oops:

Last edited:
Would it be worth checking the trvs are fitted on the correct side of the rads if they are not the 2way type?

No harm in checking ... normally though IME, backward flowing directional TRV's give a 'clunk' when the pump kicks on and off.

Would it be worth checking the trvs are fitted on the correct side of the rads if they are not the 2way type?

Makes no difference. A single direction TRV can go on the flow or the return

In my experience single direction TRVs are very rare...but that might be working in London and when they're the wrong way round you know it....can be as loud as a machine gun.

In my experience single direction TRVs are very rare...but that might be working in London and when they're the wrong way round you know it....can be as loud as a machine gun.

Funny enough, i saw trvs for sale on our local diy place recently and i noticed they were single direction. I was surprised they still make them like that.

They were very cheap though....

Makes no difference. A single direction TRV can go on the flow or the return

It's dependant on the head orientation.
The arrow must point in the direction of flow.

If you have one way TRVs, your orientation isn't variable. It is dictated by the direction of flow

2 ways don't matter.

If you have a house full of old TRVs (as per the video) and they all point in the same direction, if a rad has flow/return on a different side, the trv may be in the wrong orientation.

If you have a house full of old TRVs (as per the video) and they all point in the same direction, if a rad has flow/return on a different side, the trv may be in the wrong orientation.

Anyone installing a directional component the wrong way round needs his or head looked at

It's dependant on the head orientation.
The arrow must point in the direction of flow.

While you are correct that the flow through the valve must be the same as circulated water, head orientation is cannot be changed to suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back