Non British Gas advice please re Boiler Pressure Relief Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that would make it NCS,if you were to use a gas term on a non gas related device/pipe!

Sponsored Links
So that would make it NCS,if you were to use a gas term on a non gas related device/pipe!

Yup mate I agree, but hey the BG CPS are a law unto themselves, I think they hand out Gold Stars for the 'Spook a Granny Award' every month!!

Could one of you lot please point out the regulation that states a prv can't be run in plastic and that would include all plastic ie speedfit.

Please don't quote buildin regs part G3 as that doesn't relate to a prv,it relates to a TPRV where if discharged there is a chance that the water could be above 90-95deg C.

You can run a tprv into plastic if done correctly if you have the correct quals you will know this still isn't a reason to not issue a ticket and correct its ncs.

G3 covers cylinders and says pipework should be in "metal". The this was updated and a bulletin I read somewhere said HepVO trap into push fit plastic was OK.

Common sense says this can be extended to cover boiler PRV outlets and pipework but I don't know of any specific reg or bulletin that says so seeing is G3 doesn't cover boilers.

Sponsored Links
don't know the exact reg for this, isn't it noted somewere that plastic cannot be used within 1m of a boiler?
i may be wrong although i'm sure i read this somewere

G3 will not cover a central heating boiler. The manufacturers MIs is the regulation along with some BS number, the number of which I don't know & don't care to know - but I'm sure some 'Gas Guru' on here will know........................... :LOL: :LOL:

sorry but i cant see any plastic pipe in the pic :confused:

yes prv should always be in copper,its basics for a pro

Runs into overflow bottom left corner. Tell ya what house wife go look outside, if the pipe looks in line may only be a case of getting the pipe pushed into the over flow, then connected to the copper so the overflow is a sleve most over flows behind baths ate straight.

Wow!! I never expected so many replies, thank you :)

Having looked outside in the rear garden I can only see one pipe coming out of the wall and that is in plastic, which I would have thought was the Oveflow from the toilet :?:

Does this mean that the Pressure Relief joins into the toilet overflow and exits as one pipe :?: Is this ok :?:

I think I really need to get someone in to get behind all the Tongue & Groove panels of the the bath and toilet to see what's going on just to be certain.

I have been looking through the Building Regs which I believe changed last in April 2010, so definately not a month ago. I think the British Gas Engineer was telling lies :!: But I can't really find the answer.

Having looked outside in the rear garden I can only see one pipe coming out of the wall and that is in plastic, which I would have thought was the Oveflow from the toilet :?:

Does this mean that the Pressure Relief joins into the toilet overflow and exits as one pipe :?: Is this ok :?:
Not necessarily. The cistern may be modern enough to incorporate any overflow going straight down the pan instead of a separate pipe outside.
You need to check whether the cistern has an overflow pipe or not.
I think I really need to get someone in to get behind all the Tongue & Groove panels of the the bath and toilet to see what's going on just to be certain.
Seems sensible to get someone in. The job itself may not be that difficult to cure providing there aren't too many obstacles for a straight pipe run and it's not too high up outside ;)

Most boiler manus (all ?) would require that the 1st metre of pipe for flow & return should be in copper/metal before connecting to plastic !

Some oil boiler manus MI's did not or will not allow plastic at all , except for under floor heating , which is under the control of a thermo mixing valve !

Plastic on all (?) basic solid fuel boilers is a not allowed , was always good practice to use a galvinised feed & exp tank on solid fuel , along with a copper float on the BV & a copper over flow pipe ! although as I understand it some exp tanks can cope with boiling water for X amount of hours ??

G3 unvented allows discharge into a SVP via a hep trap , providing the material ( plastic ) can cope with the potential temps involved ??

the prv from a boiler is as the term suggests a "pressure relief valve" & has no temperature sensing element in it ,
( unlike an unvented cylinders discharge valve )

But can & will under certain fault conditions discharge water at high temps that will flash over to steam !!!!!!!!! when it disharges !

Therefore IMO any prv discharge pipe from a boiler must be able to cope with the potential discharge of steam , asfaik most or all ? plastics cannot cope with steam

Just to clarify this for you... The pipe should be in copper and not plastic overflow pipe which it is. This has always been the case but BG have recently decided to step the notice up to "At Risk" (the yellow label) instead of "NCS" (a note on your paperwork)

Your best stand-point with them is that they've not noticed it AT ALL before. I'd say that if you shout loud enough and ram home the point that this is a safety issue they've potentially missed for several years they'll be obliged to do something about it.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back