Pressure relief discharge pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I had my boiler serviced over a year ago as part of my British Gas service contract. My boiler is about five years old.

Everything was ok but, the engineer noted on the checklist the pressure relief discharge pipe was not terminated correctly. He said it would not affect that service but it would fail the next one.

I seemed to remember this is because the boiler is not on the ground floor and the pipe discharges from the first floor level. THe actual pipe coming out of the wall is about four inches in length and above our patio.. The sides of the pipe are partly covered by pebble dash. The actual hole at the bottom of the pipe is not covered therefore any discharge can escape freely.

Because of this I have not had my boiler serviced this year as I am worried it will fail and my boiler will be turned off.

What do we need to do with this pipe to ensure it will pass the next service?

If it is not possible to make any necessary changes without ruining the pebbledash is it true my boiler will be turned off?

Sponsored Links
the pipe should be returned to the wall (using 2 bends and witha small gap between the end of the bend and the wall) so that if any near boiling water comes out it doesnt pour down on someones head, but goes against the wall. i believe BG call this AR (At Risk) which they shouldn't as AR is a gas classification, but if they call it AR they will ask permission to switch your boiler off at the timeswitch and will get you to sign a form saying you know it could be dangerous to use (this covers them if something happens) then you "could if you wish" switch the timer back on, but it is good advice to get it fixed as someone could be seriuosly burned and then you would never forgive yourself, i would suggest get the service done because if you are under contract with them they wont do a repair if the service is outstanding, the repair is fairly simple but if you dont feel confident get a plumber in to do it dont let BG do it or you will need to sell your youngest child to pay the bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back