Non British Gas advice please re Boiler Pressure Relief Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prv's aren't just found in boilers therefore their discharge can't be broken down into it must be this for this and this for that,why would a prv's discharge need to be in metal on say a cold water inlet group.

If you've got a boiler prv discharging steam then you've got issueswith multiple failures prior to the point of discharge.
The differnwve between the two valves described is simple a TPRV is a primary safety device which is designed specifically to relieve pre boiling water therefore it relief pipework should be able to with stand this.
A PRV on a boiler is a 3rd line safety device whose primary function is to allow discharge over 3bar,it's no way operated by temperature an therefore it's pipework doesn't need to be designe to allow for this.
If this operates with water close to boiling point it will be because overheat stat,thermistors,expansion vessel etc are all at fault.

Leave the pipe as it is...at worst it's not to manufacturers instructions.if BG took it on contract like that it's their fault for not doing a better initial inspection,certainly the rules for boiler PRV's haven't changed in years.

Sponsored Links
Hmm I'm pretty sure last months DVD meeting had this as NCS as long as there is no distress to the plastic pipe. I will have to check.

BG are putting their foot in it again with PRV and PRV pipe classification. They keep telling us that we can't class a plumbing defect as NCS yet they still want us to classify any plumbing defect they see as AR, such as straight wall terminations.

Before we pass judgement on the BG engineer in question let's remember just how ******* difficult they make it for us to get it right.

Hmm I'm pretty sure last months DVD meeting had this as NCS as long as there is no distress to the plastic pipe. I will have to check.

BG are putting their foot in it again with PRV and PRV pipe classification. They keep telling us that we can't class a plumbing defect as NCS yet they still want us to classify any plumbing defect they see as AR, such as straight wall terminations.

Before we pass judgement on the BG engineer in question let's remember just how ******* difficult they make it for us to get it right.

Who scooped the coveted monthly 'Spook the Granny' award??

It's BG that keep moving the goal posts for their engineers, it's not the guys fault. He's just trying to make sure he doesn't get into a disciplinary with his manager.

Sponsored Links
Profit moves exponentially to the goalposts - SIMPLES :mrgreen: . Looking after your world , and their shareholders .

Ask BG to point out the bit in the GSIUR that talks about PRV terminations. You can't use the Unsafe Situation Procedure for Building Regulation or Water Regulation infringements regardless of how dangerous someone thinks it is/isn't.
I wonder what a BG engineer would do to an unvented with capped tprv? maybe slap an ID sticker on it? cap the water supply :LOL:

Who scooped the coveted monthly 'Spook the Granny' award??

**** knows but I wish it was me....do you realise how much QDOS you get for that? :LOL:

Regs didn`t change last month been in for years .It should all be in copper or a suitable heat resistant plastic.
It is not an actual reg to turn off appliance this is just BG policy so can be ignored.
Get someone else out
incorrect... it's not a BG policy. No one can turn a gas supply off without the owners consent. If it's of plastic or a material that could not with stand heat then it is At Risk

Thanks.

Just a few more questions if you wouldn't mind. They haven't turned the appliance off, just put a yellow warning triangle thing on it.

So it never should have been installed this way when it was put in :?:

Why have they serviced it over all these years without an issue :?:
The engineer was covering for the clearly blind engineers that have visitedpreviously, this doesn't really matter one way or another to you, you should never actually have come on contract with that status. If you're not happy you should find an alternative company.

Damn Nickso you're right, it's internal termination that is AR, but i do remember the brief. If ppl are so peeved with BG and are asking for advice elsewhere then there is clearly a crisis of confidence. It would be best for all that the customer sought another company. See how they get on when it breaks down

I wonder what a BG engineer would do to an unvented with capped tprv? maybe slap an ID sticker on it? cap the water supply :LOL:

I think i heard that senario had happened and yes, the cold main did get capped.

OP - BG engineer should have marked it as ncs, granted its not to MIs but hey ho. No reason not to provide a gas safe cert.

I think i heard that senario had happened and yes, the cold main did get capped.

OP - BG engineer should have marked it as ncs, granted its not to MIs but hey ho. No reason not to provide a gas safe cert.

He has no choice but to provide a cert, if he is on the premises he has to issue one.

Damn Nickso you're right, it's internal termination that is AR, but i do remember the brief. If ppl are so peeved with BG and are asking for advice elsewhere then there is clearly a crisis of confidence. It would be best for all that the customer sought another company. See how they get on when it breaks down

I'm not even sure that is right, BG muddy the waters so much with their own policy it's difficult to say what is right or wrong if you only have one source of information.

From my own perspective any PRV defect is NCS as the risk of injury is so low. I will go and check what BG have to say about it though, assuming I can find the relevant pages in the tome that is OPs. :rolleyes:

Nickso - BG term internal termination of PRVs AR. No-one else does, certainly not in industry unsafe sits and not in gsiur.

Nickso - BG term internal termination of PRVs AR. No-one else does, certainly not in industry unsafe sits and not in gsiur.

Fair enough, I gave up after 3 minutes of trawling the nightmare that is TOPS.

I remember it used to be NCS for an internal termination but they said not to classify it as such as it was a plumbing defect, now that they have "upgraded" it to AR you can now classify it as such. Double standards as usual. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back