Non-compact LED lamp recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some external wall lights like these:

upload_2019-1-16_2-6-48.jpeg

and I've always used stick shaped CFLs - i.e. this basic style:

upload_2019-1-16_2-14-22.jpeg

Thought I'd try LED, but I want to keep that basic shape, so that the light is even, not concentrated in a small spot near the bottom.

Any recommendations? Given how dodgy some corn-cobs can be.. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Try looking for "corn cob" or "lantern" lamps. However, also look at some of the warning videos/articles about regarding corn cob lamps - some of which are lacking basic insulation and have live parts exposed (or easily accessible).

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that it counts as a recommendation, but I usually buy whatever cheap (sometimes anonymous) ones I can find, and then inspect them carefully before putting them into service - and I have to say that I have not yet found anything about any of them which has caused me any concern. I use several, in applications similar to that which has been mentioned.
In such applications, they are usually installed vertically with the base at the bottom, so one might expect impaired reliability because the source of most heat is vertically below the LED elements, but that hasn't been my experience (at least, not so far).

Thanks, but I don't think that would be bright enough, and they say indoor use only...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back