Non Gas safe gas work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

He'll probably raise his eyebrows and bemoan the care in the community schemes ;).

judge.gif

Well Joe when the custody sergeant asks for your belt and shoe laces you can always say that you thought you were competent

Not if the installation bears no relation to the fault. If the unit is faulty then under your rights it isn't fit for purpose.

You can't walk away from statutory rights - that's why they are on the statute books.

Your statutory rights do not mean that a manufacturer or its agents are obliged in law to carry out repairs under any warranty if that manufacturers instructions are not followed.

They cannot use unreasonable terms that attempt to remove your statutory rights to avoid warranty claims. The requirement to follow their instructions would not be considered unreasonable as they are best placed to state how their equipment is installed.

You might want to try to argue a fault is unconnected to MI's not being followed but how would you do that when you have failed to follow or have insufficient knowledge to install correctly. Try as you might you would lose that argument in any court. If it got that far.

Sponsored Links
Of course under the sale of goods act it is the seller that holds liability anyway for 12 months ;). After that it is usually the extended warranty which isn't statutory.

But then Joe knew that already :?: Or didn't he?

However, if I did and did the job right - then nothing would happen to me. I'd fit it and then get a Landlord Cert. Then it's not my problem. ;)

Doing gas work for payment is illegal unless you are an RGI.
You can do your own gas work, if competent and equipped.

Don't be silly Dan. It is quite legal to install your own boiler and get the local council to check it. And NOTHING but an act of parliament can remove rights on the statute book. It's the LAW mate.

In theory.
In practice, I think you would find that no local councils employ RGIs who can inspect and certify a DIY gas installation. If they were obliged to inspect the work, they would sub-contract it to a local gas contractor and charge you way over the odds for the priviledge. It would be cheaper to employ an RGI yourself to install the boiler.

Of course under the sale of goods act it is the seller that holds liability anyway for 12 months ;). After that it is usually the extended warranty which isn't statutory.

But then Joe knew that already :?: Or didn't he?

Dan, I think Joe90 is a complete pr*ck but there is the sad f*rts rule that has more bearing than the 12 months
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Also, hes got a point about have the ever prosecuted someone for doing work that was correct but they were not gas safe registered
To be honest the guy they prosecuted was sent a letter saying please stop before prosecution ... FFS why dont they just take them to court 1st time .... A friggin letter is what they send out more than we are aware asking them to stop
Im sorry but the HSE are a joke within our industry

Agree on the HSE...I've RIDDOR'd some real nasties, including an 8month pregnant lady with a newly fitted hob with a leak so big I thought my manometer hose was on the wrong side :eek:

As for the SoGA, I think you'll find after 12 months it goes back to the manufacturer.

After 6 months it is down to the user to demonstrate they are not *******.

[
quote="joe-90";p="2646252"]Scroll down to the benchmark.

http://www.idealheating.com/downloads/manuals/206025_inst.pdf

What does it say?

This bit:
Failure to install and commission according to the manufacturer’s instructions and complete this Benchmark Commissioning Checklist will invalidate the warranty. This does not affect the customer’s statutory rights.
[/quote]

I really cannot be bothered to read all of this thread. So apologies if my following point has been covered.

NO manufacturer has ANY contractual responsibility to the consumer, apart from a risk attached to manufacturing and distributingunsafe products that are unsafe, unless they choose to offer a manufacturers warranty to the consumer.

All risk lies, ultimately, with the retailer (as there is only a contract between the retailer and the purchaser). So, if there is a breach of requirements for an extended warranty, or standard mfr's warranty (which WOULD create a contract and risk for the mfr), the mfr can walk away clean.

So. Joe, once again you are talking carp.

Joe you are wrong,
First link from USA, the second uk.
Non Rgi can not prove that unless taken all the assesments and have proven experience. Yes the links don't cover gas but it outlines a competent person as per eyes of law.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/competentperson/index.html

http://www.healthandsafetymentor.com/health-and-safety-competent-person
So what exactly makes a person competent to advise organisation's on health and safety matters?

The Health and Safety Executive define a competent person as someone who has sufficient training, experience and knowledge and other personnel qualities that will allow them to assist you effectively in your health and safety responsibilities. The level of competence required will depend on the complexity of the situation and the particular help you need. Ideally you would source a health and safety consultant that would be familiar with your industry and have the necessary academic health and safety qualifications to fulfill his duties in-line with current legislation and industry best practise. At Mentor we will provide you with a health and safety consultant that will best suit your organisation's needs, whilst also being an experienced member of a UK Health and Safety body such as the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or the British Safety Council (BSC).

If you would like to discuss this further or require details relating to the experience of our health and safety consultants, then please contact us on 08444 933 062.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/training-competence.htm

Another link, if you need help I suggest you ask he's to clarify it for you...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/involvement/competentperson.htm

A competent person

You must get help from a competent person to enable you to meet the requirements of health and safety law.

A competent person is someone who has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and other qualities that allow them to assist you properly. The level of competence required will depend on the complexity of the situation and the particular help you need.

When getting help, you should give preference to those in your own organisation who have the appropriate level of competence (which can include the employer themselves) before looking for help from outside. You must consult health and safety representatives in good time on the arrangements for competent help.

Find out more in The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

So if a non competent person does something like installing a boiler correctly - what will happen to him?

If a deemed competent person does something incorrectly (like bodging a boiler) - then what will happen to him?

The answer is:

Nothing to the first, and throw the book at the second because he should have known better and the first didn't know that he was incompetent until it all went pearshaped.. Therefore, in reality I would be better being looked upon as 'non-competent' in the eyes of the law.

Joe you have exhausted this topic go and play somewhere else please

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back