Normal a combustion chamber question

L

lizard1975

Hi,
I would post this question in the gas fitters forum, but i am in the process of being vetted by the site so cant. Equally i would have rung gas safe technical, but their closed at the moment (it seems no gas work is done at the weekends :LOL: )

Anyhow my question is this, i am currently doing a service and a landlord safety certificate on a Thorn Apollo 15/30B which has no isolation value fitted. I know that one has to be present today when fitting applances, but i am not sure if this regulation covers old installations as well? So my question is, is this a NCS or an AR? Cant find anything in the unsafe situtations to help.

apologies if this is a silly question, but im freshly qualified and seem to only be running into jobs, that have situations i have never come arcoss or thought to ask about before

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is no iso valve, :eek: it came as part of the boiler on these.
Look on the l/h side at the back of the gas valve, there should be a square boss with a line across it.

All gas boilers have Isolation valves. I have never installed a boiler that didn't have one in 45 years of work.

Sponsored Links
lizard1975";p="2821516 said:
Hi,
I would post this question in the gas fitters forum, but i am in the process of being vetted by the site so cant. Equally i would have rung gas safe technical, but their closed at the moment (it seems no gas work is done at the weekends :LOL: )

Anyhow my question is this, i am currently doing a service and a landlord safety certificate on a Thorn Apollo 15/30B which has no isolation value fitted. I know that one has to be present today when fitting applances, but i am not sure if this regulation covers old installations as well? So my question is, is this a NCS or an AR? Cant find anything in the unsafe situtations to help

+1 to all the previous comments.

But, FYI, it can't be more than NCS. There is no safety risk attached to the lack of an isolation valve. But it has been a requirement from since before (at latest) the mid '70's, when I started.

It is probably a slotted screwdiver type on side of gas valve

Bit worrying that someone with clearly limited knowledge is servicing a Gas Boiler, Qualified or not! :confused:

Bit worrying that someone with clearly limited knowledge is servicing a Gas Boiler, Qualified or not! :confused:
Agree its not a good start, but would rather admit that i am not sure about something and ask for help, than keep quiet and risk some ones life for the sake of not appearing foolish or lacking in knowledge

Many thanks to be people who answered. I did indeed find the isolation value tuck away on the inlet elbow.

Keep asking Lizard but as you realise the CC is the best place to ask as non qualified read things into answers that they perceive as being correct, I would much rather you asked and got the correct answer than just plough away, we were all inexperienced at some time and all had to learn

Ian

Keep asking Lizard but as you realise the CC is the best place to ask as non qualified read things into answers that they perceive as being correct, I would much rather you asked and got the correct answer than just plough away, we were all inexperienced at some time and all had to learn

Ian

Thank you :)
Thankfully all my other questions can wait for now until i get approved for the CC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back