Northern Ireland data breach

None of which explains "accountability leading to numbskull decisions".

If you know you will be held accountable for any decision you make, you'll make damn sure it's a good one (or make no decision at all).

Not a numbskull one.
You have more faith in the mindset of the civil servant than me.

If this was a mistake its almost unforgivable, but it is just possible the foi team reasoned that the info could be disclosed, this is certainly backed up by the guidance:

"Employees who represent their authority to the outside world should also expect that their authority will disclose their names"

This is still objectively a numbskull decision, but it is clear there is huge expectation to give people what they ask for.

Blup

Sponsored Links
You have more faith in the mindset of the civil servant than me

I doubt it.

My point remains that, if someone has a tangible consequence to their making a poor decision, they are less likely to make a "numbskull" one.

More simply, I absolutely disagree with your assertion that accountability leads to poor decisions.

This caper could result in tens of millions of pounds in compensation having to be paid out ???

My point remains that, if someone has a tangible consequence to their making a poor decision, they are less likely to make a "numbskull" one.
That depends, a person who makes consistently poor decisions that they are not held accountable for will never know that they are poor quality. An electrician might provide a poor standard of service and never be challenged. But if a client dies or is seriously injured there are generally immediate and serious implications

More simply, I absolutely disagree with your assertion that accountability leads to poor decisions.
A scaffolding company with poor health and safety practises may never be challenged, despite being accountable under the law. But when a worker is killed due to those practises there are generally immediate and serious consequences.

All of the above applies to an FOI officer mooching along until that super serious error occurs.

Blup

Sponsored Links
That depends, a person who makes consistently poor decisions that they are not held accountable for will never know that they are poor quality. An electrician might provide a poor standard of service and never be challenged. But if a client dies or is seriously injured there are generally immediate and serious implications

A scaffolding company with poor health and safety practises may never be challenged, despite being accountable under the law. But when a worker is killed due to those practises there are generally immediate and serious consequences.

All of the above applies to an FOI officer mooching along until that super serious error occurs.

Blup

You're selectively quoting me, to defend your point, and refute one I did not make.
I specifically said ".... held to account....."

I'm out on this one.

People and process are at fault here. All such requests should be checked before being released. The person dealing with the request should have oversight and independent governance. The police routinely re-use witness statement templated for example and there is always the risk of leaving data from the previous statement in the next.

These things should never be in Word or Excel, far too easy for mistakes to occur.

Back