Not enough 30A spare fuse slots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old style Consumer Unit and all the slots are in use. The 30a fuse is currently connected to the shower unit. Until i get a modern 'Split CU' fitted, with more slots, would it be possible to temporarily connect my new cooker on the same circuit as the shower? providing my other half doesn't shower whilst i'm cooking her tea.... she is getting a bit cheesed off with micro-meals....

EDIT: I must add: using a CCU and 45A DP switch..

Sponsored Links
BoDon said:
I have an old style Consumer Unit and all the slots are in use. The 30a fuse is currently connected to the shower unit. Until i get a modern 'Split CU' fitted, with more slots, would it be possible to temporarily connect my new cooker on the same circuit as the shower? providing my other half doesn't shower whilst i'm cooking her tea.... she is getting a bit cheesed off with micro-meals....

EDIT: I must add: using a CCU and 45A DP switch..

NO. And i mean, NO. Unless you install a changeover switch.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...tchgear_Index/Change_Over_Switches/index.html

no, very bad idea

you could henley in a shower cu next to it temparaily and stick either the shower or cooker than that.

If you have two light circuits, you could take both out the cu, replace one with a 30amp fuse for the cooker, and one for a 15amp fuse feeding a couple of FCUs for the lights

You could loose the immersion heater and use the boiler for hotwater, disconnect it, and fit 30amp fuse there for cooker

all those options would be better than what you are proposing

Thanks guys, It's just that I can't get a hold of a 'spark' to do a full PIR and install a new Split CU for a couple of weeks, and my other half, is threatening to go to her mothers if I don't get the kitchen sorted...... might not be a bad thing though.!!

cheers..

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam_151,
The emmersion is non existant, so I wired it up as suggested, it's still just a temp solution though will have to get a Split CU, it's like a bowl of spagetti in my CU only SIX fuse blocks in the unit! happy days again in the household!
it's still just a temp solution though will have to get a Split CU, it's like a bowl of spagetti in my CU only SIX fuse blocks in the unit! in a 3 bed + garage house! Any ideas as to the fuse capacity of the new CU i should have fitted? I don't want the 'Spark' to fit one which maybe inadequite for further expansion, i.e i don't want him/her to fit a 'spare one' he/she has lying about in the back of thier van!
Cheers

MK do a 21 module CU, 2 of these are taken up by the incommer, so you can have it as a 19 way 'plain' CU, or fit an RCD and split load kit and have a 17 way split load board

if thats too big, then as well as 21 (19 non split / 17 split), there is 16 (14 non split/ 12 split) , 12 (10 non split / 8 split) and 8 (6 non split / 4 split) available

I'd guess that you probably wouldn't want to go smaller than the 16 module unit

Thanks, I will, if they have one, look on thier web site and order one so at least I'll have the most suitable CU ready for the 'spark' to fit, size should not be an issue as the CU is in an under stair cupboard. bigger the better then i could get the garage, shed, comp/study on thier own circuits.
Nothing against the spark of course but if it's someone you don't know and after all they do have a 'business' to run, they may just fit something which may be suitable for the job but is just not what i would like/require.

Many thanks.

If you've engaged a trustworthy and competent electrician, he will be quite happy to properly discuss your requirements and fit what you want

He may be much less happy to fit something you've bought, and in any event, he'll be able to buy it cheaper than you can.

Do you have a TT supply?

Do you have a TT supply?

No I don't believe I have a TT supply, my reasoning is I don't have an RCD, well not visable anyway. With regards to the others it could be either?? if that makes sense, further investigations will be required.

Aye as my 'inbred cannyness' suggests, I would like to believe that I would get what i pay for and done in the shortest time possible, but life is just not that simple in'it, just ask that Gordon Brown fella!!

Cheers [/quote]

Is there a main earth conductor coming out of the right hand side of the Service Fuse Block?
(That plastic thing in which the service cable terminates, with a big holder saying either 60,80 or 100 amp on it).
If there is, it's probably a PME system.

Is the main earth connected to a tenby clamp or soldered joint around the service cable? if that's the case you have a TN-S system.

Yes, there is an Earth coming out of the right hand side of the service fuse box (60/80A), it then continues into the CU. No, there doesn't seem to be a clamp nor soldered joint around the cable. So presumably I have a PME System.
Would this make a difference in the choice of a replacement (split) CU?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, for you guys concerned for my safety. I have got a 'Qualified/registered spark' to wire up the unit, however he now works for an Offshore Company on an Oil Platform. So if I get the parts he'll wire it up. :)

Subject to the external earth impedance being 0.35ohms or less, you have a PME or TN-C-S system.

This makes it a bit easier, as you won't need a 100mA Time Delay Main Switch, and it can be easier to comply with the earthing requirements with the new consumer unit - only the sockets and shower and bathroom equipment need to be on the 30mA RCD breaker side of the board.

The shower does not need to be on the RCD side (but it probably would be wiser for it to be)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back