Not getting paid and paying for materials?

Good suggestion Dpp, because if they won't pay for them when you arrive to do the job, then you can take them straight back to the shop. If they aren't prepared to pay for them straight off, then I doubt if they'll pay for them later.

Sponsored Links
Good suggestion Dpp, because if they won't pay for them when you arrive to do the job, then you can take them straight back to the shop. If they aren't prepared to pay for them straight off, then I doubt if they'll pay for them later.
Exactly that being said the customer paid for materials when I arrived with them and even gave me a tip on completion lol, I always find it's the way nes with money are the only nes to watch imho

In terms of the customer paying for materials:
-work out what you need
-Go to the supplier
-Get a price
-Give the customer a piece of paper with the materials cost written on it (include the cost of your time to buy the materials, or a reasonable mark-up)
-Get the money from the customer
-Buy the materials

in that order!

Sponsored Links
Ideally you never want to let your customers owe you more than 5-6k. anything over 10k starts to get expensive and risky to enforce.

You make a good point Motorbiking, but Ideally, you wouldn't even want to let the get that far behind in payments. One of the hardest things to learn when being self employed, is that it's okay to ask for payment, and the client shouldn't get upset if you do.

by implication and the fact you did the work you have a contract by implication.
if it was me and i am a builder. i would turn up start taking the fence down. tell him you are not happy with it.
he will come out and pay you. don't take cheque have your bank details with you and tell him to transfer the money.
i would bet he pays. if he calls police tell them on the side that it is a civil matter. they will take nothing to do with it. if he gets heavy then you phone the police and make complaint. stick to your story you are not happy with the work and you are putting it right.
take someone with you. but do not get involved in argument. let him make that mistake.
be brave man. 35 years in the trade . i have met them all

You'd need 3 things for that to work:
1. A contract giving you retention of title until payment in full
2. The works having been incorporated into his property
3. a defence to criminal damage when he tells you to stop and leave his property.

Your first sentence is correct though, to some degree.

Ideally you never want to let your customers owe you more than 5-6k. anything over 10k starts to get expensive and risky to enforce.

My boss is owed £60k for a job he did last year. The customer says he has a pension maturing soon and he might give him some of that.

Yeah Right; the operative words being might, and some. Tell the boss to investigate putting a charge on the property.

Tread a careful path if u ever agree to a price/ contract in some ones home or place of work . U need to give them a 14 day cooling off period . before work commences or they need to sign a waver .

Sponsored Links
Back