Not getting paid and paying for materials?

My gaffer is owed £60k on a job he completed 8 months ago. £40k on another job that was completed 6 months ago.
He spent £20k on insulated cladding panels for a customer a few months ago and then the customer cancelled the job. And now he's lumbered with the panels and no customer.

Another 2 customers have just stung my gaffer for £120k. One cites shoddy workmanship and the other is just penniless. Well almost. He owes £80k and says he might be able to delve into his £2k's worth of savings.
The high winds a month ago ripped the roof off part way though the build and that added about another £20k to the project which my gaffer had to foot the bill for.
The inland revenue also want £200k. At the moment he can't even afford a car.
In his seventies now and gets the pension. :(

Sponsored Links
Three months ago one of his customers rings up complaining about shoddy workmanship. Said he wants it fixing but not right away but wants £2000 in the mean time. (Once the work is fixed he pays the money back, that was the agreement)
My gaffer writes him the cheque and pays the money posting it too him. And promises to fix the shoddy work.
He phoned him last week and the guy won't answer the phone.
I could write a book.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your gaffer must have more money than sense. I’ve got a house that needs building if he’s not busy. :whistle:

If your boss is doing work on property they own, then your boss needs to find a firm who will buy the debt. They'll pay pennies in the pound and then get a charge against the property. That last example borders fraud but then there are always two sides.

Just off the phone to my gaffer.
The guy who owes the £50k has just phoned him going ballistic saying the 100m long canopy (which was designed incorrectly) has allowed snow into the inner section of the canopy.
Which has then thawed due to the heat in the building and rained down inside.
And is going to get a solicitor to take further action.
When I seen it, I knew it was wrong.
Customer wants us on site asap but we are all snowed in at the moment.
My avenue is filled with snow two foot deep.

Last edited:
Customer wants us on site asap

On another part of the building a huge section of cladding collapsed today due to structural failure. Or shoddy work as I call it.
Client is hopping mad. I have to face him first thing in the morning.:D
I been thinking as he has no intention of paying my gaffer any rode, he has gotten exactly what he deserves. LoL

On a separate note, accountant has advised my gaffer to declare himself bankrupt as he will never be able to pay off the huge £200,000 tax bill.

Last edited:
My gaffer is up in court next month. The customer who owes him £48k has initiated proceedings in a court of law after my gaffer sent him a solicitors letter and is seeking £60k for breach of contract.

And only now, 14 months after the job was completed has he begun making complaints about the quality of workmanship.
Looks like he'll be taking the snag list to court with him.
Shame he couldn't have presented it 14 months ago. But then 14 months ago he said he was happy with the completed job.

Last edited:
If you take a customers credit card to the shop and use it to pay for materials (with their consent) they are in breach of the card terms and by presenting yourself as them to the shop, you are potentially commuting fraud. They would be processing the payment card holder present, which is your deception. Further the card holder might later say you didn't have his consent, which might expose you to a theft allegation. As others have said. In the age of the internet, you can sit them down with an ipad and build up their bill of material and get them to pay or you ask for an initial payment to cover materials. Hopefully you'll find alternative to travis perkins who are over priced normally. However, your safe/legal option is to call the customer and get them to deal with the payment over the phone and allow TP to process.

In terms of establishing a contract. You can still function on trust/oral agreement, but you protect yourself if you write down, what they are asking you to do. e.g. supply and install 6M of wood fence with concrete posts to a height of 2M, remove and dispose of existing fence. Estimate 2 days at £200 per day + £500 materials (est) or Total price £1100 and either get them to email agreement or sign it. You don't need a signed paper contract, you can email them and get them to confirm they wont to go ahead.

You are a limited company if you form a limited company and you commit an offence if you present yourself as one when you aren't.

I'd get public liability insurance too.

Giving someone a kicking who wont pay a bill, will probably end up with you sitting in prison and not getting your money.

Am I a limited company because I had someone working with me? If i am really a sole trader but occasionally need someone to work with me and help me how do i legally get round this? Surely being a limited company brings added complications to running a company

No, its the status of your company not how many people. Sole traders can employ people.

A limited company is one that has been set up and registered as a limited company. It means, its finances and liabilities are separate from yours. For example if you own your house and you negligently destroy my house, I would sue you for my damages. If I win and you didn't pay, I would enforce the judgement and take your house and any other assets. If your company is Limited, I can't take your house so easily* as my claim is against the company and its assets.

https://www.gov.uk/limited-company-formation
https://www.startupdonut.co.uk/blog/11/12/13-things-you-need-to-know-about-being-a-sole-trader

*There are ways.

No, its the status of your company not how many people. Sole traders can employ people.

A limited company is one that has been set up and registered as a limited company. It means, its finances and liabilities are separate from yours. For example if you own your house and you negligently destroy my house, I would sue you for my damages. If I win and you didn't pay, I would enforce the judgement and take your house and any other assets. If your company is Limited, I can't take your house so easily* as my claim is against the company and its assets.

https://www.gov.uk/limited-company-formation
https://www.startupdonut.co.uk/blog/11/12/13-things-you-need-to-know-about-being-a-sole-trader

*There are ways.
So it's better to be a limited company than a sole trader because you can't lose your house. I own my flat. If you don't have the money in the company you just declare bankruptcy.

It mentions PAYE, which thought was to do with working for an employer, not sure what that means? I downloaded PAYE tools.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back