Not happy with Firstline Digital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last Sunday I received a call from a fella claiming to work for a company called Firstline Digital. He briefly explained to me that one of his Satellite installers was on a job and had accidentally drilled through the client’s double glazing on a Sliding Patio Door whilst trying to fit a satellite dish. He asked me if I could attend to site to carry out an emergency repair. I explained to him that I was unable to supply double glazed units the same day but I was willing and able to attend to site on an out-of-hours emergency basis to board-up the damaged doors until new glass could be obtained. I then quoted him £100.00 + VAT for the work on the understanding that I wouldn’t be on the job for more than 1 hour.
So I jump in my van and start the 30 mile journey. About half way there I get a call from another fella (sky installer) who explains to me that it was him who had somehow managed to drill through the glass doors. Anyway I told him that I was on my way and promptly arrived on site about 20 minutes later.

On my arrival there was no installer to be seen and the woman at the house explained that he had left shortly before my arrival. She then took me around to the rear of the property to show me the sliding doors. Now these doors were about 15ft wide overall comprising two very large sliding aluminium framed doors which, when opened, slid into the actual wall-cavity of the house on a double-track system (if you think of the sliding vehicle access doors on a typical car showroom you’ll know exactly what I mean). Anyway, this knob-head had for some reason decided to open both doors which meant sliding them both together into the brickwork cavity. He then proceeded to drill through the wall and through both double glazed units which were at this point contained within the wall.

Anyway, without complaining too much I set about cleaning up the broken glass (4 black dustbin’s full) and boarded-up both door panels with six 8ft x 4ft Plywood boards.
It took me just over 2 hours from start to finish plus travel time to and from the job.
I had at this point for the sake of argument decided to keep to my quoted figure of £100.00 + VAT despite the extra work and materials.

The next day I rang Firstline Digital to ask for an invoice address but the guy said he was driving at the time and asked me to call back later. I did so and he said he would have to look up the head office address and call me back. He didn’t.

Now when I call both mobile numbers all I get is their answer-phone messages and I now suspect that they are trying to fob me off.

I have the names and mobile numbers for both of these employee’s but at the time I couldn’t ask the householder for a signature for the work done because she wasn’t the person who had instructed me to carry out the work so now I’m stuck with unsigned paper-work and not a chance of seeing my money.

I have done a search for them on the internet and from reading their website it would appear that Firstline Digital pays peanuts for ladder-monkeys to do their work for them.

Does anybody know of a way to trace a mobile number to an address so that I can send a couple of gorilla’s round to visit them? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to read this story Glassman, and don't get me wrong but my fist advice would be:
Lesson learned?

If you've never worked for a company that's asking you to do some work for them, no matter how urgent: get things in writing! A fax would suffice, email.

Hope you'll get your money after all.

Bill up the lady where you worked, tellign her that they have reneged on the payment, or ask to go back and get your materials

That will get em moving

:)

Sponsored Links
If I have to be honest I had a gut feeling when I arrived on the job that something like this would happen but I took pity on the woman who lived there.

She was a little distressed about the whole thing when I first arrived and because it was the day before Christmas Eve I decided to get on with the job at least help her out a little bit and make her property secure over Christmas. What would anybody else have done under the circumstances?

In hindsight I should have taken his card details over the phone but because I don't really like using the card machine I didn't bother.

I still have his name and mobile number and I think I've also managed to trace what I believe is his head office. I'll catch up with him when he least expects it. :evil:

You should be able to claim on her household insurance policy, I'm in a similar situation at the moment with a damaged car from the builders next door, got a solicitor letter to him he rang me straight away as I couldn't get hold of him :!:

get someone else to get him to do a call out then be there for when he arrives.

You could always try calling sky as he would of been contracted to them.
Sky will take a dim view of firstline (as im sure they always are in my experience) and should sort it out for you.

Either that or they will get you their contact details

Glassman

I had a similar problem with non payment for emergency electrical repairs so I wrote to MD of the Company I'd worked for with an invoice demandsing payment within 7 days - I got a cheque by return

Is this the company you worked for:-

Name & Registered Office:
FIRSTLINE DIGITAL LIMITED
33 CHESTER ROAD WEST
QUEENSFERRY
FLINTSHIRE
CH5 1SA
Company No. 04251274

Try a strongly worded letter to the directors.

I did some Sky work subbing to Firstline, they are dreadful payers and in the end I wrote off my losses.

I have many details of theirs, let me know if you need anything.

Well completely out of the blue I have had my phone call returned and the guy who had called me originally has now given me the address and contact details for their Claims department in Chester.

I suppose I'll have to take my comments back (For now at least).

We'll see what happens when I send them my bill.

Thanks all :D

maybe he has been reading this forum ;)
If they are like me (sad) :LOL: then he will have diynot and digitalspy's forums open at the same time :oops:

Quick update.

As promised I recieved payment from Firstline Digital.

I was convinced that I was going to get stitched up but I have to hold my hands up and say I was wrong on this occassion.

Thanks for the input. :D

Sponsored Links
Back