What Building Insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm due to have some structural work carried out on my property which will see an external side return wall remove to install a 4m sliding glass door, plus a further internal wall removed. Two steels in total will be fitted.

What sort of insurance cover should I check the builder has and how would I verify they have what they tell me?

Cheers,
-j

Sponsored Links
As far as your concerned they should have contract works insurance to cover the works they are carrying out and public liability to protect clients and third parties. Ask them to see copies of their current policy certificate. Public liability is their minimum requirement but you may want to be sure that they will be able to fulfil the contract if something goes wrong.

You could also insure the works against problems, as the liability insurance only covers against negligence and the contract works only covers for example a fire or similar.
Problems caused by mistakes that fall between the gaps of negligence and external events,eg shoddy workmanship or even uncompleted work, you'd struggle to claim. You can get insurance to cover this if you think it's worth it, also make sure you have legal cover.
One company is BuildAssure but there are plenty more.

As far as your concerned they should have contract works insurance to cover the works they are carrying out and public liability to protect clients and third parties. Ask them to see copies of their current policy certificate. Public liability is their minimum requirement but you may want to be sure that they will be able to fulfil the contract if something goes wrong.

Wrong, I am afraid. here is no REQUIREMENT to have PLI when carrying out trades in the UK. The "minimum" is EMPLOYERS liabiity.

Sponsored Links
Most household insurers cover your house during building works. But you need to tell them that you are having it done. Normally the cost will not go up but you may find the excess does.

I.E. when having an extension done on my old house the builder had PLI and Contractors Insurance. I also wanted to ensure I was covered so I called my normal house insurance supplier and they said I was covered under the accidental damage section of the poilicy but that my excess would increase from £200 to £1000 for any claims caused by the works.

Back