Not happy with neighbours planning app. Help needed

Don't Building Regs prevent extractors going directly over the boundary? I know boiler outlets can't - just wondering.
I don't think that there is any such requirement. The boiler flue thing is safety related and comes from the gas regs, but the only requirement for an extract vent is that it vents to external air.

It would potentially be a public health or environmental issue and that's outside of Building Regs. But I suppose the BCO could be creative.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

So having put more thought into this, one of my major concerns is that I have a dining room window running along the side of my house. Approx 80cm from my wall is the boundary which has 6ft fencing.

The neighbouring property is approx 2m away from the same boundary. It’s this 2m that is proposed to be the new extension.

In therory their new wall will now be 80cm from my window(boundary line) The height on the extension is approx 2.4 and then there will be the guttering and pitched roof leading up to their original house.

I am going to really feel the difference in terms of light into the dining room.

He won't get BC sign off if his extractor is blocked by an obstruction on a neighbours land ;) . Given the proximity of the party wall to the neighbour's house 1-1.5M? I'm guessing the proposer has the complexity of the foundations potentially undermining the neighbouring house. So it needs a party wall notice even if it is set back.

party-walls-article-9_clip_image002.jpg

Sponsored Links
He won't get BC sign off if his extractor is blocked by an obstruction on a neighbours land ;) . Given the proximity of the party wall to the neighbour's house 1-1.5M? I'm guessing the proposer has the complexity of the foundations potentially undermining the neighbouring house. So it needs a party wall notice even if it is set back.

party-walls-article-9_clip_image002.jpg
If the designer has any sense, he would design the foundations to be the same depth as the neighbour's foundations and avoid invoking the Act.

If it is later be found that slightly deeper foundations are required, then the foundations could be dug deeper and filled in within a couple of hours one afternoon before anyone notices.

But in the Op's case there is no reason to suspect that foundations will need to be any deeper than the existing building's foundations anyway, so the Act should not apply.

Unless his house is old and sitting on bugger all foundations. From one of the very early "building control" acts
1894founds.jpg

Thanks all.

So having put more thought into this, one of my major concerns is that I have a dining room window running along the side of my house. Approx 80cm from my wall is the boundary which has 6ft fencing.

The neighbouring property is approx 2m away from the same boundary. It’s this 2m that is proposed to be the new extension.

In therory their new wall will now be 80cm from my window(boundary line) The height on the extension is approx 2.4 and then there will be the guttering and pitched roof leading up to their original house.

I am going to really feel the difference in terms of light into the dining room.

Sorry but I don't know the definitive answer to this one, maybe there isn't one as such. All I can say is it is worth investigating. It may well come down to the facts on the ground like how high your window is and the size of the window. A dining room ought to be stronger grounds than a kitchen but is less strong than a lounge. If you have double aspect or a large window that would weaken the light aspect in terms of a valid objection.

It might be worth paying a planning consultant to advise you on this because unless someone better qualified than me gives you a good planning argument on here I would say this is one that can go either way, so best to give yourself every chance. Then if it goes against you it will at least be the correct decision under planning rules and you can at least say you did the process correctly.

I would guess a 10m long extension on a boundary line could probably be argued against using local planning policy.

As far as i know, the access to neighbouring land rules only apply to maintenance, not development. So they would have to keep all scaffolding and the like on their side for the development purposes. Only maintainers they could have access legally imposed.

Edit although the pwa does allow surveyors to give access specifically to do the party wall works only, so maybe refusing most of it wouldn't be possible.

Regarding the extractor, their designer should not have it discharge directly over the boundary because they have no idea what would be built there in future. For boilers it's a safety issue so it's written into law. For extractors it's more common sense.

Regarding the development in general there's a presumption in favour of them using their land as they wish. There are certain conditions that could cause unreasonable detriment to others, which could modify what they can do. But there's no blanket ability to say no to what someone else wants to do, if you don't own the land they want to develop.

Last edited:
To clarify many of the items being discussed...

Planning
- They first need planning
- Daylight impact seems to be one of your main concerns. Has any daylight impact study been submitted with their application? - and if so what does it say?
- If not submitted you could speak to the planning case officer and ask for one.
- You are probably also best to consult and Right to Light Surveyor who could work out if they are in breach of the guidance on impact to your daylight. If only marginal impact is likely the it is likely to be acceptable, if a significant breach of the guidance would occur due to the proposed works it would often be enough to prevent planning being consented. If you are happy to pay for this you could do this and submit it to the planning department as an objection.

If planning is consented and they then build the works...

Location of Wall & Notices:
- The neighbour has no right to build astride the boundary (the only time they do is when raising a pre-existing party wall).
- The neighbour has the right to built right up to the boundary (subject to planning etc.)
- The neighbour can ask to build astride using a Line of Junction Notice - but you would presumably refuse.
- As the neighbour is building up to the boundary a Line of Junction Notice should still be served from them to you (see tiny gap note below).
- Depending on the depth of the footings they may also need to serve Notice of Adjacent Excavation although this unlikely they will probably design footings to avoid this (only usually the case on sloped sites, or basement works).

Status of New Wall - if built wholly on their land:
- The new wall will not be party wall as it does not serve buildings on both sides (but the wall would still be pursuant to the Act - The Party Wall act doesn't just covers works to Party Walls it also covers works near boundaries).
- You would not be able to structurally build onto their wall later (although you can sort of use if for weathering, and just construct an inner structural leaf to take loadings).

Status of New Wall - if you chose to permit the wall to built astride the boundary:
- The new wall would be a party wall
- You would be able to use it later (enclosing), although if you chose to do so you would be liable to compensate your neighbour half of what the wall would cost to build at the time of enclosing.
- You can permit them to build astride on condition you can use later use without the above cost (which sometimes is favourable as you both gain internal space, and your save cost).

Access:
- When built astride or abutting the boundary the neighbour will gain right of access under the Act, this includes building the wall if necessary as well as maintenance.
- If access is not necessary to build/maintain you can prevent it although you will end up with a bodged wall that looks terrible from your side, so in practice you are better to permit them to access so they can point and detail it properly. A Party Wall Surveyor can carry out a schedule of condition on the area of land, and your neighbour would be liable for any repairs to reinstate after the works are complete.

Tiny gaps to boundary:
- Leaving a small gap between their extension and the boundary is a bad idea and unlikely to occur and bad advice and shouldn't be proposed - basically as they won't be able to maintain their building sufficiently.
- There is not benefit to the neighbour except from saving the small cost of serving the Line of Junction Notice.
- They have the right to build up to the boundary so why would they not.
- If they leave a small gap they have no access rights to construct or maintain, therefore when something happens to the wall it will be very expensive, if not impossible, to rectify. It is more likely to have problems too considering they will have built it poorly in the first place by reaching over the wall. (e.g. say some pointing needed repairing and they have left just a 5cm gap - there is no way for them to fix this).
- If they leave a small gap and don't maintain the boundary line somehow the ownership of the land is likely to fall into your ownership later anyway (e.g. adverse possession or simply through lack of record) and therefore the wall will abut the boundary then anyway (no doubt when the neighbour realises they have no access rights unless the wall is deemed to abut the boundary line they will readily concede that thin strip of land to you in order to get access rights un the Party Wall Act).

Leaving gaps:
- If done should be at least big enough for a person to get down.
- If they are proposing a tiny gap you could point out that a bigger gap is beneficial to them later if they need to maintain as they will have no rights to maintain by accessing your land.

Flues etc. terminating to your land:
- Only a mad person would do this as they can't guarantee it will be kept clear by you. Simply pointing this out to your neighbour should make them not want to do it.

In summary:
- if you don't want it built then you need to object with justifiable reasons through planning and not be looking at the Party Wall Act.

One of the biggest mis understanding in construction is that the Party Wall Act is there as legislation specifically to help enable development. It generally doesn't help in trying to prevent work being carried out as that is not its purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back