Not Internet Enabled Boiler Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a 20 year old boiler, no plans to replace it. It's on a timer, TRVs on all rads, and no room stat.

I'm toying with changing the controller for something more sophisticated but have no idea what's out there that meets my requirements - everything I've casually come across so far is overkill. My motivation is mainly around compensating for the outside temperature. What I don't need is wifi/internet connectivity.

Any thoughts about what might suit?

Sponsored Links
WHAT BOILER DO YOU HAVE ? unlikely that weather compensation sensors will work with a 20 year old boiler , but without knowing what you have we cant really say

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It's a Worcester 35CDi II.

And by compensating for weather, I'm not thinking about modulating boiler output. More, if it's cold outside and the period the timer ran wasn't enough to bring the house to temperature, the controller would extend the on time.

Sponsored Links
We had a new boiler fitted a couple of years ago, and like you don't see any value in the internet connected gubbins. We have the Honeywell TR6 fitted to control the heating and hot water, but I've not connected it to the wireless internet. It connects to the control unit with a direct wireless connection, so all its internal control functions work fine and the programming is very flexible. It does have a mode where it will 'learn' how long the place takes to heat up to a given temperature and adjust its 'on' time accordingly. (We don't use that function, and I don't think you need to be internet connected for it to work). That might be the sort of thing you're looking for?

The section on Optimisation is the one I'm thinking of. You'd need to check the full manual to see if it does what you want.

More, if it's cold outside and the period the timer ran wasn't enough to bring the house to temperature, the controller would extend the on time.
That won’t really work, because one controller doesn’t tend override another in normal operating conditions. Sounds like you need a learning thermostat that will learn how long it generally takes to heat up.

It's much easier to achieve this with Internet connectivity than without. Google Nest will take weather forecasts from the Net and turn on your heat at a suitably early time to achieve the desired temperature based on learned heating rates of your home and the forecast temperature at the time.

if you have internet you would be best to use an internet connected unit

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
We had a new boiler fitted a couple of years ago, and like you don't see any value in the internet connected gubbins. We have the Honeywell TR6 fitted to control the heating and hot water, but I've not connected it to the wireless internet. It connects to the control unit with a direct wireless connection, so all its internal control functions work fine and the programming is very flexible. It does have a mode where it will 'learn' how long the place takes to heat up to a given temperature and adjust its 'on' time accordingly. (We don't use that function, and I don't think you need to be internet connected for it to work). That might be the sort of thing you're looking for?

The section on Optimisation is the one I'm thinking of. You'd need to check the full manual to see if it does what you want.
It is like having a dog and then having to bark as well

TR6 for me is a go to smart stat that is packed with facilities to eek out maximum saving only beat3n by likes of Evohome ( unfortunately out of stock in most places ATM- wonder if it is demand or chip shortage) .

The way the fuel prices are going ATM, any function or facility that saves fuel is the way to go
To have a fully TRVed installation and no thermostat is like burning paper money.
People who are clued up are asking for smart TRVs- booked next two calls for that.
Another two waiting for quotes but smart TRV units of choice are out of stock

@DP Evohome is mostly a chip shortage problem. I understand it will be 12 months minimum before the HR92s are available again.

It is like having a dog and then having to bark as well

TR6 for me is a go to smart stat that is packed with facilities to eek out maximum saving only beat3n by likes of Evohome ( unfortunately out of stock in most places ATM- wonder if it is demand or chip shortage) .

The way the fuel prices are going ATM, any function or facility that saves fuel is the way to go
To have a fully TRVed installation and no thermostat is like burning paper money.
People who are clued up are asking for smart TRVs- booked next two calls for that.
Another two waiting for quotes but smart TRV units of choice are out of stock
I never understand why people spend hundreds of pounds on smart TRV's and thermostats and think they will save money. In the long term maybe but saving a few pence a week takes a long time for any payback.

I never understand why people spend hundreds of pounds on smart TRV's and thermostats and think they will save money. In the long term maybe but saving a few pence a week takes a long time for any payback.
The way fuel prices are, why is it not a good idea to reduce the gas usage by say 30 percent
The smart thermostats are easy removed to move if the homeowner is to relocate

Is saving of few pence a week your take or based on solid proof

The way fuel prices are, why is it not a good idea to reduce the gas usage by say 30 percent

Its a good idea to reduce gas usage but estimates state the savings per year are roughly 10% or so, based on my own gas usage at todays gas prices that would save me about £130 a year. So £170 for the TR6 and say £400 on smart TRV's would take about 4.5 years to get my money back, and that doesn't take into account labour charges. Then you have the cost, albeit small, for battery replacement every year in 14 TRV's. But having said all that if anyone, like me, likes having new tech to play with then go for it!

would you not just get the same saving running round the house twice a day manually changing the setting on your existing TRV's but saving £400 initial cost and ongoing battery cost? the running around would also warm you up so win win.

Its a good idea to reduce gas usage but estimates state the savings per year are roughly 10% or so, based on my own gas usage at todays gas prices that would save me about £130 a year. So £170 for the TR6 and say £400 on smart TRV's would take about 4.5 years to get my money back, and that doesn't take into account labour charges. Then you have the cost, albeit small, for battery replacement every year in 14 TRV's. But having said all that if anyone, like me, likes having new tech to play with then go for it!
10-12% saving is attained by fitting a room thermostat over a system that has no interlock

Installing smart TRVs means the rooms that are not used (bedrooms during the day and living rooms during sleepy time) are turned off giving greater saving as boiler is only servicing radiators that are on line at any particular moment. Saving will be much greater than 10% you mention

Furthermore, bedrooms only need heated say an hour at night, same in the morning. Living room and other rooms that are used during the day are then online.

If you are living in a bedsit, hardy worth getting a thermostat as even a thermostat would be an overkill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back