Not seen this before...

If you're getting your earth connection from the service pipes, that is an "AT RISK" situation.

You may need a proper main earth terminal. Your DNO will do this work, but if there is no evidence of an existing one, they will usually charge.

You really need to do a Ze on the incoming supply.

Sponsored Links
The Rec are coming out to carry out safety inspection in the next 24hrs. So I have some questions for you. I don't like the idea of next doors property being supplied via mine as the conduit passes under my lounge and is fastened the floor joists, can I insist that next door have there own service head fitted and the wiring removed from my house. Also the earthing is obviously not up to scratch with no connection to the service head and being earthed by an undersize earth wire via the conduit going to next door, will they need to fit my own earth rod. The position of the meter and fuse box is very low and venerable to damage so I'm going to fit the new consumer unit at safer height, will the Rec relocate the meter during the upgrade work FOC or will they charge.

That is an interesting point. No-one, but no-one, not even the utility supply companies, can route services through or under your property unless they
a. Have your permission;
b. Have a statutory authority in individual cases;
c. The title for the property contains a right for your neighbours services to route through your property (this will normally also include a right for them to enter your property to carry out repairs and a right for you to insist they maintain those services in a condition that will not damage your property). or
d. The services have been so run that a right in common law to have them there exists.

"a" is known as a licence; "b" as a statutory authority (no surprise there); "c" is known as a covenant; "d" is known as an easement. All of these may give rise to a "Way-leave" for which you may well have the right to be paid an annual sum as a sort of rent for letting them house their equipment on your property (the same applies to overhead cable poles that support more than just your house supply but are on your land). Contact your DNO and find out who owns the boards equipment in your area. They will, probably, have a Way-leaves dept who will be able to clarify what your situation is.

I'm willing to wager 5p that the contract to supply electricity (probably since the time of the original installation) gives them the right to install cables and equipment on your property, including that which is used to supply electricity to others.

However, I also have reason to know that most PESs can't find their old wayleaves.

Sponsored Links
Guy from the Rec came out yesterday and unbelievably said everything is ok. The bloke just wasn't interested about the age or condition of the old supply cables going to next door and fobbed me off saying the cables were the responsibility of my supplier, which I thought was a load of b******t . I told him I didn't wan't the cables passing through my property espacially in the condition they were in. I then asked about the lack of proper earthing and what a supprise thats not there responsibility either. So not believing this numpty I recontacted the Rec and at last spoke to someone who knew what they were on about, she told me I can apply to have the supply cables removed and for next door to have there own service head fitted as urgent upgrade work(she's sending out a form 1st class). I then asked about the earthing situation and she said if there is no evidence of any earthing they're no obliged to fit one FOC but can fit a PME block and earthing rod for £32:00 which think is reasonable Why don't these people sing from the same hymn sheet. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back