Supply from Supplier feeds Next Door Too!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. This is a picture of a supply to a middle-of-terrace house.
The conduit goes through to next door, so it would appear that the one main incoming cable feeds both houses.
Am I right to be concerned that
a) the main fuse for next door is in this house (not mine, a friend's)
b) the earth for next door is in this house

Is this unusual ? I've not seen it before but my experience is limited.

If it needs fixing, what is the best approach?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No, it's quite common. I don't think it is done these days, but it's certainly not a unique setup you have.

Next door will still have a cutout in their property as normal. The fuse in their cutout will be of a lower rating than the one in your cutout to provide discrimination between the two.

The earth might not supply next door. They might have a TT supply.

Anyway, if you are concerened, you could call the DNO, but they are unlikely to do anything about it, unless you are willing to pay for it.

The red fabric covered wire (that goes next door) looks like it is frayed.

Does it reveal bare copper there? That old type of cable uses rubber insulation and will probably be disintegrating.

I wouldn't be happy with it - suggest you call your electricity supplier and tell them that there's bare wires. Maybe they'll come and make it a little better for free.

Thanks guys. I'll call the DNO and see what they'll do.

Wiring in the house certainly does have rubber insulation. Is this necessarily an automatic rewire ?
It may sound a dumb question (perhaps it is!) but the reason I ask is that the house is owned by an elderly couple who could do without the huge upset that a rewire causes. I'm asking for advice as to how necessary it is to replace this kind of wiring once it has been discovered.
I've not carried out any insulation resistance tests, but EFLI readings are good. If the IR tests check out, is that sufficient indication of safety or false indication?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Wiring in the house certainly does have rubber insulation. Is this necessarily an automatic rewire ?

No, although it is very likely. Rubber covered wires will date the installation to the early 1960s at the very latest, so at best, the wiring will be nearly 50 years old. It could easily be much older.

The main problem with rubber insulation is that is dries out. If not moved or touched, it can be perfectly fine. Start moving it (such as when testing) and the insulation cracks, falls off and turns to dust.
If you do any IR tests, do NOT remove the sockets or switches - test from the main board only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back