Not so Smart Meter display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought in the spirit of making you smile at Christmas I’d post this.

There have been a few posts on here about the size of the main fuse to a house. I am wondering what size I have fitted as according to my Smart Meter display I am currently using 5266 KW so I calculate that to mean I am drawing 22,895 Amps through my 80A main fuse. I suspect the display is wrong as I can’t see any cables on fire under my road.

Attachments

• 20201227_091141.jpg
    20201227_091141.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
I assume you have reported this to your electricity supplier, it may appear on your bill and that would not be funny

But arguing the toss would be a lock-down diversion. Its not as if any bill based on a consumption rate that high could have any credibility.

I assume you have reported this to your electricity supplier, it may appear on your bill and that would not be funny
I'll go downstairs and read the meter at some point. as it is not melted it can't have recorded that. I switched off the display and switched it back on and it now shows a far more reasonable 388W use. I usually only use the display to check the time as the clock is accurate.

Sponsored Links
Its not as if any bill based on a consumption rate that high could have any credibility.

You and I are human beings and our common sense tells us this is wrong. A computor doesn't have common sense, only pre-programmed functions. It is not impossible that the computor programmer has not told the computor that there is a limit to how fast a house can use electricity.

Yes, but the display may well indicate the basis for charging.
Make sure that your supplier is informed of this immediately,
challenge/reject any bill for the next 12 months,
insist that they remove the pile of junk that they call a “smart” meter. Quote the trades description act. Get one of those nice old traditional ones that have a rotating disc.

You and I are human beings and our common sense tells us this is wrong. A computor doesn't have common sense, only pre-programmed functions. It is not impossible that the computor programmer has not told the computor that there is a limit to how fast a house can use electricity.
I'm safe as there is a limit to how much I have in my bank. There is no way they could charge me for that. 5266 KW per hour over 24 hours at 13p per unit would cost £16,429. I refuse to work out the cost per month at that rate per day but I can assure you it is more than my pension.

I’ve just been and checked my actual meter reading and it is roughly as I expected. At this time of year we use about 15 units per day. (I know it is high but my caravan is parked on my driveway and I leave the heating on at 5 degrees to protect it from frost damage)

All true, but sooner or later a human would get involved. The aim is to tie up as much of their admin time as possible and to string it out for as long as possible staying just the right side of legalaction/debt collection/being cut off.

There is no way they could charge me for that

I got a call many years ago from a supplier asking for my details as a new house supply had been registered in my name halfway across the country.

I point blank refused as it was obviously a mistake or done deliberately. They asked me to write in and explain the situation but again I refused as "it was nothing to do with me". Maybe so they replied, but my name was on the bill and to avoid any ultimate debt recovery I did have to sort it out.

Think again buddy!
They can and they will unless you contact them and tell them something went wrong.
I'm sure it is the remote display in my house that is at fault. It never shows any use of gas but sometimes goes wild over electric use. The actual meter gives a very similar usage to the old one that had a rotating disk. any yes I am sad enough to have kept a note of my meter readings for several years, I kept a record each time they asked for a reading

There is a clue in the name “display”, the reading your supplier uses comes from the meter. Provided the meter is reading correctly your bill will be fine. :whistle:

A few years ago (or decade) I got a cagey call from the gas supplier, asking me questions about gas usage, and, if I could read the meter to them, over the phone.
I can be mischievous and kept politely refusing with a good reason until eventually they conceded they were checking whether I had used 12k of gas...
Apparently they were outsourcing gas meter reading and said they had a problem of people just making up readings. My reading and theirs were wildly different, it wasnt just an extra digit or something, just totally different numbers.
This was before smart meters.
I'd call them if I were you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back