Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi Everyone,
First time posting here, so sorry if I'm not doing something right.
I bought an old (1919) house in June last year and have started some renovations in the meantime (new bathroom and new insulation), which are almost done. But after removing the roof fascia of the flat roof from the kitchen and the bathroom, I've encountered something quite strange and was hoping to get some ideas/suggestions from you guys. The image below illustrates the situation, but here's a written account:

It's a flat roof that has 100mm kingspan insulation in a sort of 'warm' roof configuration. But here's what's weird: The (newer) deck on which the insulation lies is on top of an older deck. Between the two decks is a relatively large gap (c.a. 5 cm) through which air flows freely from the outside. I had noticed the kitchen and bathroom had a draft and this certainly explains it!

I'm not sure what happened here. My suspicion: the old deck was replaced at many points throughout the years and I suspect at some point the slope might have been compromised (leading to pooling at points). I think the new deck was put to have a proper slope and, at some point, the old owner asked people to insulate it. Maybe some cowboys just put the insulation on top and called it a day...

Warm-ish_roof.png

To solve this, I had thought of making many small holes throughout the old deck, enough to fit the nozzle of expanding foam gun, and just fill it with the foam. This would then make it into a genuine warm roof. Is this a bad idea? Should I do something different? Will this get me into trouble regarding moisture accumulation/rot? Should I hire a pro to do this?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back