Warm flat roof - 2 Decks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all... hope you can help, I'm finding conflicting information online!

I'm about to put a GRP warm flat roof on an outbuilding, I'm using 100mm PIR foil backed insulation and was wondering do I need a deck between the joists and insulation or only one above the insulation (the joists are at 400mm centres)... some people seem to state that I need both... others state the insulation will be rigid enough once I have a deck installed over it to spread any loading.

It will not have foot traffic and it literally just a roof to keep water out ☺️

Hope you guys can help

Martin

Sponsored Links
It's feasible, but not practical in some situations.

There is the potential for the insualtion to compress slightly under wind, or snow load, and then create ponding. The larger the roof, the greater the risk. If its just a couple/three meters wide with those close joist spacings, then the risk is greatly reduced.

Thanks for the help woody... seen a lot of your replies on these forums :)

It's 3m wide by 4m long so quite small

The problem you will have is where two of the sheets meet on a single joist - not enough support on the edges.

So make sure to lay the insulation sheets longways across the joists and where two sheets meet, fix a batten either side of the joist to support the sheet ends.

Bond the insulation sheets, and then bond the timber decking boards too, so that the joints are staggered and not in line with each other or the sheets below

Sponsored Links
And when you've done all that, put a proper membrane system on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back