Not strictly a DIY question but...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried a lot of site for the answer to this, how do you remove the sticky residue left behind when a label is peeled off inside a pair of shoes. The labels came off mine and my socks now stick to the shoes when I take them off. :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Evo-stick glue remover (do this outside, strong vapour) or methylated spirit.

Sometimes, furniture polish will work too.

Handy when you need to walk to the shops in your new shoes to buy evo stick glue remover!

Smells nice too! :D

IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) very useful. Everybody should have some - smells better than meths.

Sponsored Links
I always thought IPA was a beer :LOL:

If you do get some Isopropyl alcohol, remember that it is also excellent for cleaning optical equipment, especially lasers. Now when you are at the evostick glue remover shop, the salesmen can't rip you off on special cleaning solution for that "frickin' laser beam" you just bought to attach to a shark's head. They screw you every time.

This thread is getting weird, I must have been drinking my IPA... ;)

It's a pain!!. You can try surgical spirit, or failing that white spirit (normally works best) but it's going to soak into the fabric and smell for a while.

Next time you buy shoes ask the shop to remove the labels on condition that you'll buy them if they can get them off cleanly!

Sticky labels are a curse.

Serious note - I know that AdamW was jesting, but please don't anybody ever try drinking isopropyl alcohol. (Or isopropanol as it is probly more properly known before some picky organic chemist chimes in...)

Practical note - if you want IPA for cleaning optical or electronic equipment, make sure you get the good stuff with a low water content.

Especially don't drink the stuff with low water content, the final distillation is done with benzene and thus it is carginogenic.

But don't drink any alcohol that you shouldn't!

Usually perfume or aftershave will do the trick too.

Not may people have IPA knocking about!!

The only people that don't have any knocking about are those who can't be @rsed to buy any.

It's not like trying to get hold of C4, or weapons-grade plutonium....

Where exactly do you buy it? A chemist? I did find my local chemist was pretty good for getting hold of some chemicals, back as a teen I tried the old "touch explosive" recipe to make some devil bangers... didn't work though!

AdamW said:
Where exactly do you buy it? A chemist? I did find my local chemist was pretty good for getting hold of some chemicals, back as a teen I tried the old "touch explosive" recipe to make some devil bangers... didn't work though!

CLICK ME!!!!

They have IPA in 5 litre bottles?! Dunno if I would want that sitting in my house! Suppose you would keep it in a garage, like petrol.

Hmmm: Seeing as it is so good with optical equipment, you could use it for cleaning windows :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back