Wiring a junction box to be able to move a light fitting

the OP needs a 4-terminal one. I suppose I should have 'warned' him about the existence of the J803.
Kind Regards, John
Yes, I got that :) riveralt gave instructions further up the post which clarifies how to connect the wires in the jb

Sponsored Links
the OP needs a 4-terminal one.
Yes, I got that :) I got the j804 jb. but i cant work out how to fasten the wire in the terminal. I thought these were push terminal but it's not. Anyone there let me know how to do this?

I saw your link but i can't get to tlc-direct before Friday. Ordering it online will come up to £8.52! So if I go to a shop, they may not have this particular one. It'll help me if you can say how to spot the right jb but if not don't worry, I'll manage
Look it's not rocket science, go to your local electrical wholesalers. (not the sheds or screwfix, they wont have them), someone like Edmundsons, CEF, Harrisons, Denmans.......
and ask at the counter for a maintenance free junction box, they should know what you are after, explain to them it is for a lighting circuit and you require the four positions for line, neutral, switch live and CPC. If you are worried about purchasing the correct one, print off the several links been given to you and take them to the wholesalers with you.

It's all working! thanks to you all for your advice. The j804 is a bit fiddly but it works

Sponsored Links
I got the j804 jb. but i cant work out how to fasten the wire in the terminal. I thought these were push terminal but it's not. Anyone there let me know how to do this?
Yes, they're just 'push in' terminals. If you have a solid wire, it should just push in (have to push quite hard!). If that doesn't work, or if it's a stranded wire, push down (again, quite hard) with a screwdriver on the plastic bit with a 'cross' above the terminal hole and, whilst pushing down, the wire should just slide in to its hole.

I take it that your JB looks a bit like this (this is a J803, with only 3 sets of terminals - your J804 will have four sets):
?

Kind Regards, John

The insulation is done and I am boarding the loft. Can I stick the jb in between the flooring and the insulation?

The insulation is done and I am boarding the loft. Can I stick the jb in between the flooring and the insulation?
It will say on the outside of the jb 'Do Not Cover'.
It will say on the inside of the jb, 'Do Not Mount in or on Thermal Insulation'.

To comply with the manufacturers instructions clear a space between the plasterboard and the flooring devoid of insulation.

It will say on the outside of the jb 'Do Not Cover'.
It will say on the inside of the jb, 'Do Not Mount in or on Thermal Insulation'. To comply with the manufacturers instructions clear a space between the plasterboard and the flooring devoid of insulation.
If one wants 'blind obedience' with the MIs, then you're obviously right (although I'm not sure that 'Do not Cover' allows one to having flooring above it, does it?!). However, I can't think of an even half sensible electrical reason for not doing as the OP suggested, can you? Is here some reason I'm missing which makes one iota of difference whether the JB is sitting on insulation or plasterboard (with flooring above, in either case)?

Kind Regards, John

You can please yourself whether you follow the instructions or not - not down to me - not really bothered what you think about the 'blind obedience' bit either.
It makes common sense to me that when I fit them I don't want to have to return in case of an overheating fault even if the likelihood is tiny - so in this case I do follow the manufacturers instructions, which separately state:

When installed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions in a circuit complying with BS 7671, the Ashley Maintenance Free Junction Box does not
require further inspection, testing and maintenance and therefore enables compliance with regulation 526.3.

Oh and I take the 'do not cover' to mean 'with insulation' which is why suggested how to comply with the MI's.

You can please yourself whether you follow the instructions or not - not down to me - not really bothered what you think about the 'blind obedience' bit either. ... It makes common sense to me that when I fit them I don't want to have to return in case of an overheating fault even if the likelihood is tiny - so in this case I do follow the manufacturers instructions, which separately state:...
Fair enough - as I said, if one feels that one should comply with the every word of the MIs, then one should. I have to say, however, that if I felt it even remotely possible that the JB would be generating enough heat for 'sitting on insulation' to be an issue, I would be very hesitant to use it at all - accessible or not.
Oh and I take the 'do not cover' to mean 'with insulation' which is why suggested how to comply with the MI's.
That might be what you 'take it to mean', but it's not what it says. If you wanted to be totally compliant with the word of the MI, you presumably would not 'cover' it at all. I totally agree that would be nonsense, since it would mean that one effective had to leave the 'MF' JB accessible - but you appear to be exercising selectivity in terms of which bits of the MIs you feel you can temper with common sense, and which you can't.

Kind Regards, John

You can please yourself whether you follow the instructions or not - not down to me - not really bothered what you think about the 'blind obedience' bit either.
It makes common sense to me that when I fit them I don't want to have to return in case of an overheating fault even if the likelihood is tiny - so in this case I do follow the manufacturers instructions, which separately state:

When installed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions in a circuit complying with BS 7671, the Ashley Maintenance Free Junction Box does not
require further inspection, testing and maintenance and therefore enables compliance with regulation 526.3.

Sorry :oops: Didn't mean to **** you off! But i think you got a bit carried away...

Sorry :oops: Didn't mean to p**s you off! But i think you got a bit carried away...
I think you've misunderstood - he was annoyed at me, not you :) When people don't include quotes in their posts, it can sometimes be difficult to know who they are replying to (or getting at!)!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back