Notifiable work - socket & light relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have a double socket relocated across a wall space in a bedroom and have the present ceiling light removed and instead have a couple of wall lights in the same room from the existing light switch. the room has a loft space above.

I would also like an additional socket added to another part of the same room.

Would any or all of this work be notifiable under PART P to my local building control ??

Sponsored Links
OK, so i can have my existing socket removed and plastered over & have the cables extended to where i want the socket to be moved to and have them plastered in the wall too. Also my CU is quite modern with an RCD unit.

Sponsored Links
Can i have an additional socket installed in the room taken from a Fused connection unit in the Loft space ( I have a socket in the Loft ) I want the cable to run in the wall cavity and be behind a TV on the wall.

Would this work need to be notified?

Also my wall lights would need additional cables from the existing ceiling point. Would this need notification to the building control?

I have read the guide - but still not certain.

Can i have an additional socket installed in the room taken from a Fused connection unit in the Loft space ( I have a socket in the Loft ) I want the cable to run in the wall cavity and be behind a TV on the wall.
Cables should not be run in the cavity so -
if it is new and buried without the necessary mechanical protection it must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

Likely the socket in the loft is itself a spur so the FCU must be placed so that it protects both that socket and the new one.
If the loft socket is on the ring circuit (bungalow ?) then an FCU is not necessary.

Would this work need to be notified?
No.

Also my wall lights would need additional cables from the existing ceiling point. Would this need notification to the building control?
No.

That the work is not notifiable does not mean it should not be installed and tested to the same standard.

I have read the guide - but still not certain.
Guides are like that. The actual law is simpler.

After April 6th all that will be notifiable will be -

“(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—
(a)the installation of a new circuit;
(b)the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c)any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”

Thanks for that - I have an RCD fitted at the consumer unit - this states 30mA and covers the sockets.

It's a house and the bedroom is below the loft space. I will ensure the FCU is placed before the socket in the loft.

So i can run the cable in the cavity - and none of this need to be told to Building control ?

After April 6th all that will be notifiable will be -

“(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—
(a)the installation of a new circuit;
(b)the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c)any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”
In this case correct, but really do need to say "In England". I am sure we will follow England, but at the moment there is no change scheduled for Wales.

In this case correct,
The regulation quote was for information only as the work involved is not notifiable at present either nor in Wales.

but really do need to say "In England". I am sure we will follow England, but at the moment there is no change scheduled for Wales.
I appreciate your dilemma but I and Ipswich are in England.

Those of us who desired and attained autonomy cannot expect qualifying clauses to be included in all subsequent statements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back