Nozzle change on HRM Wallstar 12 14

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, managed to go through the oil somewhat quicker than I wanted and ran out last week(!!!). Having topped up the tank my 12/14 is suffering 2/3 lockouts before it runs continually and when it is running it does not sound happy. It was serviced fully last August and has been fine up to now.

HRM suggested that the forced starts may have damaged the nozzle or that the flow was restricted, or maybe a combination of both. Well the filter is clear, so I was looking to change the nozzle.

Can someone please talk me through changing the nozzle?

Sponsored Links
The nozzles have a very fine sintered copper filter that the oil has to pass through once it leaves the pump under pressure.....personally I wouldn't suspect that (yet)!
However - have you checked all of the filters on the oil line?
The pump (is that a BFP11 - can't recall) has its own gauze filter behind its outer casing (4 allen screws, 5mm).
If you intend to do any burner work, you must isolate it electrically and oil wise from the boiler first, naturally.
The Sterling 40 burner is a nice bit of kit really - and one long screw allows the whole unit to part to access the nozzle.
Please don't upset any of the oil pump pressure settings or air door openings - it will need setting up afterwards if you do - it may require that anyway!
John :)

Wallstars with intermittent lock outs can even test experienced engineers.
Are there any bubbles in the clear flexi oil line or do you have a static one at the top of the curve?

If you have run out of oil make sure the in line filters are clean.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand how a DIYer can expect to change a nozzle and readjust the boiler without using a flue gas analyser which virtually none would be expected to own.

Tony

Thanks all

The filter from the tank has been cleaned, although it appeared OK. The boiler is taking 5 restarts every time before it runs continuously, then 1-2 hrs before it locks out again.

No small multiple bubbles in the flexi-line, just the two bubbles 2 inches long and 1 inch apart. I know that this sometimes catches people out.

I have had a look at a diagram of the BFP11, so Burnerman, will I be able to clean its gauze filter without upsetting the system pressure?

As previous poster said get a pro in (but not necessarily from the OFTEC website!) Failing that you are in Norfolk so you could ask HRM to send one of their boys to help?

Ok, neck on the railway line again :p
Yes, you can clean the filter within the pump and replace the nozzle without upsetting the original pump pressure......thats done by turning the allen screw on that projecting part of the pump.
It would always be a good idea to check things afterwards of course - which does require a pressure gauge and a flue gas analyser.
Is that a train coming? :p
John :)

I dont understand how a DIYer can expect to change a nozzle and readjust the boiler without using a flue gas analyser which virtually none would be expected to own.

Tony

Surprisingly, when I was working rather than living the life of a retired gentleman, :LOL:, I found that a lot of the time a nozzle change, whilst requiring an oil pressure and combustion check, didn't actually need any adjustment at all. This was particularly so when I had done the previous year's service.

I'm sure the 'oilers' on this forum have noted the same.

That said oil pressure and combustion checks should be made after a nozzle change.

Oh, and I would suspect air in the line. Rebleed it fully, if gravity fed, drawing through a couple of litres of oil. If on a Tigerloop or similar or just relying on the pump to draw the oil uphill then you may need to 'suck it' through. I found an outboard motor fuel priming bulb and pipe excellent for this. :cool:

Agree with Tipper sounds like air in the line and he has given good advice on clearing the line (a good couple of litres should do it). I would not expect there to be a Tigerloop or equivalent as HRM do not advocate installation of these on the Wallstar. TBH given the nature of the OP's question I wouldn't recommend he dismantle the burner if he does not know what he's doing.

If the nozzle needs changing ( as opposed to a routine service change ) because its worn or restricted then the settings are likely to need adjustment.

But thats not the point! After any change which could effect combustion conditions then the combustion should always be checked. Only then will it be possible to see if any adjustment is needed.

With the high cost of oil its very important a boiler is operating at maximum efficiency!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back