Oak back door frame - tips for getting the finish spot on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically, I'm DIY building most of an extension (i.e., no builders or contractors involved - just trades I get in as needed) and we'd like a oak door and frame. Because it's new, the door is going to be sat in the reveal by like 150mm+, so there'll be no architrave.

So, plasterer recommended that I build a dummy frame in-situ for him to board up against. This makes sense as I've hard bad things about plaster and oak. It also means we can do the door and frame last, rather than have everything come in and out through it.

But...then what next I guess is my question. Chippie is going to come along remove my frame and install our fancy door. No matter how good he is, I don't imagine the new frame will true up 100% and I'm nervous about knackering anything. A bit of caulk will go so far, but does anybody have any tricks and trips on how to get this thing finished to a really high standard?

Sponsored Links
The plasterer will need to leave that bit and come back once door is in place.
You can mask the wood so plaster won't be in direct contact with it.

The plasterer will need to leave that bit and come back once door is in place.
You can mask the wood so plaster won't be in direct contact with it.

Ah okay, so youre on the page of definitely get the door in first or at least before plastering the reveal?

Sponsored Links
Yes, otherwise it will never be perfect as you want it to be.
Mind you, there will still be need for framing silicone around the frame, in any case.

Yes, otherwise it will never be perfect as you want it to be.
Mind you, there will still be need for framing silicone around the frame, in any case.

Cheers Johnny. Yeah, I don't mind stuff like that, I just want it to be as good as I can get

I've worked on what was referred to as a German system a few times now where the carpenters made up and installed plywood frames which were installed onto the raw masonry to form an exact opening, plumb and level, to take the door frame/casing with a couple of mm "fiddle room" only. The plasterers then worked up to the plywood finishing dead in line with the edges, in much the same they would have finished to timber grounds in the days of lath and plaster. I have to say that this seems to be beyond some plasterers, but if done right installing the door frames/casings onto the plywood (which is left in place) when everything is dry is an absolute doddle. Around the edges you sesl with a fine bead of caulk or silicone

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back