Oak Desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

Am putting together a very simple desk measuring 2' x 4' x 1.5'' from joined oak boards with some simple hairpin legs.

Am being quoted around £140 for the table top from four oak boards.

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on..
1) whether I could, or even should, do this from veneered oak at a substantially cheaper price.

2) The legs I want are steel and I hear this does not react well with oak. Although I plan to use brass screws, part of the steel leg will still be in contact with the underside of the table.

3) Anyone here know of any good suppliers of hair pin legs?

IMG_1956.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I assume a table like that is bolted to the wall. Bound to be wobbly.

If your buying four planks have you the tools to thickness, flatten and joint them?

I've got a single plank of mahogany in my workshop that size. :D

The quote I got includes the thicknessing, planing and joining so that should be ok. As you said it might be wobbly, but its going to be on carpet so won't be as bad. If it is, I'll have a think about bolting it to the wall.

Still unsure as how to make sure the steel legs don't come into contact with the oak, maybe a thin bit of mdf between the legs and the oak, all secured with brass fixtures.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar desk, but used 18mm oak blockboard ,company I worked for had several made with this and gave me a damaged sheet to cut down for mine, cost around £140 sheet of 8x4.

the problem is you no rails to support the width and hold the movement in check
wood along its length is very strong across its with is very weak
imagine a handful off straws tubes or bamboo you need support at the ends

Why would you want to hold the movement in check?
1.5" inches thick it should be plenty strong.

talking about sag rather than expansion and contraction

may be fine dependent on quality weight and thickness but needs to be accessed

if it 40mm it may be fine but at say 20mm will be less stable

talking about sag rather than expansion and contraction

may be fine dependent on quality weight and thickness but needs to be accessed

if it 40mm it may be fine but at say 20mm will be less stable

That's right, it may well be strong enough, but depending on the way the timber has been converted and/or which boards from the log are used, how dry it is when jointed, and how the boards are laid up you could end up with a cupped top as it dries and moves irrespective of how thick it is. These type of tops are normally made out of veneered board, or if they are solid wood have "clamps", that is pieces of wood glued across the grain on the ends, as often found on fall flaps of writing desks. Again you need stable timber to do that. You don't really have control of any of the making of this board, so you might not get something that is ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back