Oak Floor + Dog = What to use to protect floor nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping that someone will be able to help!!

We have a large lounge 38 m2 which has a lovely American Oak floor.

We have treated it in the past with Danish Wood Oil – as the previous owner of the house, who had the floor installed, recommend it and used it.

This was fine – there are only 2 of us both adults – we treated the wood once a year and it always looked lovely.

18 months ago we adopted a rescue dog – a large Bullmastiff cross (50 kilos) who to be honest has destroyed the floor!! It is only starches to the surface of the oil but it looks a real mess.

Now we are getting the house ready to put on the market and we want the lounge to look at it’s best – not JUST for the pictures but for every viewing!

Now I have done loads of research but my partner and I are having our own battle with regards to what to put on the floor to give it a beautiful shine BUT that is hard and tough enough to cope with dog scrabbling on the floor after squirrels she can see in the garden!

I have read that the Bona Mega or Traffic would be great – like a varnish but a lacquer.

I have been told that Osmo Oil should be enough – BUT I am not convinced and as I am only prepared to give this one shot before the move and we are hiring a sander to get it 100% right, I have to get it right first time!

My partner wants to put Ronseal Diamond Hard for floors (proper varnish) down, we have used it on floorboards in a different part of the house and it IS dog resistant, but I am very reluctant to do this – unless some else thinks this will work and won’t do damage to the floor?

I am prepared to spend a bit of money to make it right but I am only prepared to do this once – and I can’t cope with any more earache!

So if ANYONE of you lovely people can recommend what type of finish/product I should use for a tough dog proof shiny finish I would be overjoyed!

Thank you VERY much in advance!

Sponsored Links
no1 - as the floor has already been oiled you CANNOT apply any form of varnish or lacquer ... it will not set properly and may (probably will) streak and spoil the floor.

I also have a large dog/oiled oak floor combo and have conquered the problem by getting the dog's nails clipped shortish so any running is only done on her pads; previous to that it was, as you describe, claw scrabbling.

Sponsored Links
Danish oil can be varnished over without problem, but I would use osmo oil it gives a good hard wearing finish and is quick and easy to apply.

I always try have dogs nail cut and we have rugs at home, I have golden retriever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back