What oil to make oak flooring look glossy and shiny?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make the oak flooring look as sleek and glossy and shiny as I can - but without using varnish or lacquer. Can this be achieved (or almost achieved) by using coats of oil and which oil will help me achieve this? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
____
After some Googling I cane up with Hardwax oil - is that the stuff to get? Aside from wanting the floor to look nice and shiny, it has to be long lasting as we live a stones throw away from woods and fields and have 2 dogs and 2 cats - the floor gets a lot of wear.

Sponsored Links
I spoke to a guy this morning at a wood merchants in town and he said to go for Satin finish Hardwax oil as Gloss is too glossy. He said if you go to the Middle East that's how they do it still and it looks really old fashioned. Now we have quite dark oak flooring as it's been stained with a dark oak colour. Would you agree and recommend Satin or would you say Gloss - I mean how glossy is Gloss Hardwax oil anyway?

Sponsored Links
Gloss is shiny on its own, satin mat is what most people select (and has the benefit of buffing to a higher shine if it is too mat for your liking)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back