Oak floor the same direction as floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have started to lay a 22mm oak floor directly on to the existing floorboards, the oak is laid in the same direction as the floorboards. I have just read online that I should have put a layer of ply underneath!

How important is this? I don't really want to rip up what I have done! The pine floorboards are in pretty good shape. The boards are 50 years old and have been recently sanded and varnished, and haven't moved noticeably in the 2 years we have been in the house.

What is the reason not to lay in the same direction? If I am intent of proceeding is there a fixing method that will be better. I am currently nailing with glue on the ends as the boards are not T&G on the ends.

Basically I want someone to tell me it's fine!

Many thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
Or should I glue the tongue and groove between planks?

Thanks

Reasons for not laying in same line as floor boards without ply would include wobbly finish due to undulation on the old floor, and the potential for the new boarding fixing points lining up with the gaps in the existing boarding and thus fixing is carp..

The idea of the ply base is it prevents the above potential problems.

How are you fixing it?

And why have you not gone at r/a to the floor boards? Is it to keep the new flooring running in lengths away from the windows?

Fixing with a nail gun mainly, and glue in some places where the boards meet or I can't get a nail in.

It needs to run the same direction as the decking outside really and also looks much better as you have the long runs as you walk in the door.

Sponsored Links
nails are 60mm long so should penetrate floorboards and joists where they line up.

I have successfully nailed oak flooring in the same direction as original flooring but only when the original flooring is pristine, level, sound, flat etc etc...
Often the original pine floorboards rise in the centre or at the edges depending on moisture content from beneath.

If your floorboards are 50 years old and don't suffer from this, it's potentially ok to go ahead.

45/50mm nails preferred as you don't want to be hitting pipes under the floor and no need to glue the end boards..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back