oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick one i think

Can i use a standard nail gun to nail down a tongue and groove hard wood floor or do i need to hire the special one.

THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I can borrow a normal nail gun, so to reduce costs i was hoping i could use it to secret nail the floor down with it.

Im also laying an oak wood floor in the kitchen which is tonque and groove and engineered i asume as it has a three stripe pattern.

Am i right in thinking that i dont need to nail down an engineered wood floor and can simply glue together.

A Portanailer available from most hire shops is used to secret nail through the tongue of the flooring. A straight nailer can't do this.

Yes you can lay engineered boards on underlay and glue tongue & groove. It's called a "floating floor".

Sponsored Links
Hmmm ,hired a secret nailer from HSS

What rubbish it turned out to be.

It was 50 mm and not one of the nail went all the way no matter how hard i hit it and they all had to be finished off by hand.

May just try electric nail gun on the other floors.

For just two floors I wouldn't even entertain the idea of hiring a floor nailer, cordless drill with a small pilot bit , hammer and punch and the jobs done. Any extra time it takes is probably equalivent to the time it takes to drive to the hire shop , faf about there and learning to use it but without the added hire costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back