Oak slab - how to smooth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rather large (9' by 2') oak slab I want to turn into a simple desk.

The surface is quite rough, straight from the sawmill.

Currently the only tools I have that would be useful are an electric planer, and sandpaper!

Will the planer do it? Would hand planes be 'better'? I assume they'll give a better finish, but that's some distance in the future.

Is there another tool for this I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
if you havent got a belt sander and you want to remove a few mm

set the cutter for 1mm cut at 45% accross the board/grain then 45% the other way accross the grain then finnish with the grain

if you just want to smooth then just go with the grain

Find a local joiners shop who have a thicknesser and ask them to run it through for you.
It will cost a few bob but it will be worth it in the end,
Then you will only have to sand it either manually or with a belt sander.

I have a belt sander, but it's not working - that's another post.

It does need taking down a few mm, so I'll probably have a go myself first, now that I know it's a realistic proposition. If it doesn't work I can try taking it somewhere.

anobium, what do you call 'a few bob'?

Sponsored Links
as long as your aware the your bit off oak will not maintain its present shape it will twist warp cup bow to a lesser or greater extent

so you either need a very heavy framework or design anything connected to the table so if it moves it still works or fits

the usual way is to cut into around 6" wide planks and leave to air dry till around 10% mousture then plane the planks square
fixing together with alternating growth rings alternating up and down

I have a belt sander, but it's not working - that's another post.

It does need taking down a few mm, so I'll probably have a go myself first, now that I know it's a realistic proposition. If it doesn't work I can try taking it somewhere.

anobium, what do you call 'a few bob'?

I don't really know current rates, but to set up machine and run through would take 30 mins at most.
As an educated guess I would have thought £10 to £15 would do it.
Ring round a few timber merchants and joiners shops, things are pretty quiet out there.
I personally wouldn't attempt to plane something of that width down manually either with an electric planer or hand planer.
Good luck.

PS Forgot to add, if you do find somebody ask them if they also have a drum sander to run it through after the thicknesser.
Save you hours of work and it will be a far better finish that you can achieve manually.

as long as your aware the your bit off oak will not maintain its present shape it will twist warp cup bow to a lesser or greater extent

so you either need a very heavy framework or design anything connected to the table so if it moves it still works or fits

the usual way is to cut into around 6" wide planks and leave to air dry till around 10% mousture then plane the planks square
fixing together with alternating growth rings alternating up and down

totally correct, this project is doomed, it isnt even seasoned yet :rolleyes:

At that price, I'll go for it - I was expecting more.

WDIK: I said straight from the sawmill - I didn't add that it's been air dried for over a year, as I didn't think that was particularly relevant to this question.

will still tend to move as it dries out farther especialy if you have central heating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back