Oak worktop splitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently had an oak worktop installed. It's only been there for about a week, but there's a crack appearing where the planks have been glued together. It's very small, about 0.5mm. I'm worried that it's going to keep moving?

The worktop was sanded flat, but now you can feel the difference in height when you run your hand over it. I'm wondering what's causing this?

worktop 3.jpg

worktop 2.jpg

Also, there's a discolouration that's also only recently appeared, where the worktop's been joined together. Don't know what's causing this either:

blackwood.jpg

Thanks for any help

Dan

Sponsored Links
Guessing the worktops have been joined without allowance form movement which is pulling the joint apart. Or the top is defective.Black marks are often a result of contact with ferrous metal [oak reacts with it and should be avoided.]

If it's one of the glue joints in the worktop, then it's a faulty piece. Oak's very good at handling water left on it, and would stain before it starts to delaminate. I'd have a chat with the supplier, and get them to inspect and replace it. As to the stain mark, it's a little odd that it's only on one side of the glue line, and almost looks as though the wood came into contact with something before it was glued together.

Could be acclimatizing to its new environment and shrinking.
Would be interesting to see an end grain image to see if the glue joint is flat or if it has been machined properly with a glue joint cutter head.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback - I've contacted the supplier. A carpenter came round yesterday and thought it was 'definitely a manufacturing defect'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back