Obligation to issue installation certificate

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I had a new condensing boiler fitted. The installer was a seemingly reputable local firm, an installer approved by the manufacturer which leads to the long guarantee.

The installer company boss said he would issue a certificate after I paid for it. I paid shortly after completion. He did not issue a certificate or anything, and I have not had any letter from the maker or local authority or anyone else who might need to have been notified. I have reminded the installer without effect. I believe the installer to have suffered a recent downturn in business.

Is he under an obligation to issue anything?

Will the maker honour the guarantee if not?

Sponsored Links
take it you have his corgi details.company, and who fitted it. and signed it of at the time.

by law and corgi he must apply for cert and register boiloer

take it you have his corgi details.company, and who fitted it. and signed it of at the time.

I have his name, company name, letter heading on quote and invoice

what do I have to do?

Sponsored Links
When was it fitted and which boiler is it ?

Grum

thats what corgi is or should be, helping you with id try them first.

September, Vitodens.

Who at Corgi should I contact?

Corgi are taking 4/5 weeks to do the paper work at the moment.
If its a Worcester and the installer registers it on line the customer will not get any comfirmation.
Phone the manufacturer service center and find out if your on the data base

Grum

You should have had it by now

Under gas work notification he should register the installation within 20 days of installation regard less of wether you had paid him or not.

it can be very frustrating having to register an installation that the client is dragging their feet on paying. but 20 days is the limit. for registration and by your post you did not do that any way, you paid so where is his problem. did the installer fill in the bench mark booklet usually part of the manufactures installation book as this should be filled in as per following manufactures installation instructions.(Gsiur)
if you are concerned as previously mentioned ring corgi give them the details it may be that he has registered it and the certificate which is sent out by corgi is lost in the post we have had it happen in the past, corgi will send out a duplicate if this is the case.

didn't fill in the benchmark pages in the maker's booklet. Possibly because it did not work when first installed.

When first installed it did not work so original employees tinkered, then left it, boss came in before going on hols, tinkered, ordered a part, on his return corrected an error in installation and got it working, I did not pay full amount until a week after as I wanted to see it running OK.

But the last person to touch the boiler and make it work is deemed to have commissioned the boiler and should have ensured that the benchmark was filled in. your request for holding some back for a week sounded reasonable before paying, fortunately we do not get many that do not work on commissioning.

you say he corrected an error on installation :eek: if the guy who fitted it was registered there should be no errors in installation.

What was the error?

fitted new boiler to replace old

(1) wiring incorrect (pump overrun controlled by new boiler circuit, no by-pass required). Electrician was not familiar with this

(2) New boiler flow/return were connected to existing return/flow pipes so going the wrong way round the boiler, the boiler flow switch identified this as no flow so would not ignite. Pump is not integral to this boiler, is in airing cupboard above. Rather annoyingly they removed my Spirovent from the Return pipe saying it must be the cause the of poor flow :mad:

Pump, motorised valve, stats and controls were all new.

I do not believe they had fitted this model before.

fitted new boiler to replace old

(1) wiring incorrect (pump overrun controlled by new boiler circuit, no by-pass required). Electrician was not familiar with this

(2) New boiler flow/return were connected to existing return/flow pipes so going the wrong way round the boiler, the boiler flow switch identified this as no flow so would not ignite. Pump is not integral to this boiler, is in airing cupboard above. Rather annoyingly they removed my Spirovent from the Return pipe saying it must be the cause the of poor flow :mad:

Pump, motorised valve, stats and controls were all new.

I do not believe they had fitted this model before.
if manufactures instructions had been followed this should not have happened. I am suprised you paid them that quick given the curcumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back