OCD....

Reaction score
Country
United States
do you or someone you know suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

I have what is considered mild.......to those who dont have it that is :confused:

I have found myself, on here, for example.....to be driven to make all the replies a "round" number....am trying to ignore....but finding it hard to...gotta find a distraction.

:(

Sponsored Links
Dellsmp said:
And theres me trying to make all replies an odd number lol :LOL:

teaching the example of ...how not to demonstrate team work :LOL:

Every team needs an individual!!
Theres no I in team but I can make me from a team!
ocd is actually very serious and we all have it in some form, how many people have checked they've locked a door more than once?
;)

Sponsored Links
Have you ever considered seeing a cognitive behavioural psychologist about it mlb3c?
As it can (as you will know) increase.

I believe I have "improved"...but there seems to be things that have replaced old habits.
Used to be I could not leave the house until I had:
checked the stove at least twice to make sure it was off
checked my pockets for my keys
did a "walk through" to make sure everything was in its place
and ...this was the worst one....straightened the fringe on the rug by the front door....drove me nuts.

and still have impending doom feeling when I leave house for fear I have missed something. :(

mlb3c, Im sorrybut I lose track about people.
You have had cancer right...
and an accident..
and use of just one arm?

all obviously stressful.

Its good to hear you know that you have made improvements but why not consider getting help with coping mechanisms.

There are some quite specific ways on treating this and I do know that it can be very successful.

well, toffee
I have not had the best life (I dont think) but then there are those who are a lot worse off....so I do count my blessings....(as long as they are a round number) and I try to keep a sense of humor....that helps the most :)

Have been in therapy...on and off for all varieties of ailments....that in itself (therapy that is) is stressful. And on meds....just recently, am off of all meds and am taking one small step at a time.
Was just wondering if anyone else suffered...as this is anonymous for the most part,,,and how they manage...didnt mean to come across as "making fun of"....

out of interest, do some of your 'habits' affect you only in your own home?

its just that a pal has to keep going and wiping the work top in her kitchen around the kettle after making coffees.

If we make coffees for her and tell her that we have wiped the top, its not good enough, she has to go and do it herself, over and over.

When she comes to my house, she doesnt feel the need to clear up like that over and over.

I tell her its a pity it didnt extend to my house as I could do with a help with the cleaning!!!

Im making light of it though it does interest me why its only in her house.

You're not coming across as anything other than someone who has been through the mill and back again and could do with a dirty great hug, a nice cup of tea and a rest ;)
be kind to yourself, chocolate helps.
counting blessings is good for you, some find it difficult, but we all have some .
take care.... :)

I suffer from mild OCD. It started with depression from the birth of my girls 5 years ago,which lead to severe depression, then panic attacks then finally OCD. Its not a nice way to live at all. My obssesions are mainly checking the windows in my childrens rooms at least 10 times per night, and also checking if they are breathing etc. I've also got a thing about the number 3. It feels like it takes up my life constantly worrying. I've got to go back to docs as i've ran out of tablets about 6months ago. I thought i would be ok but i'm not. I think i need to see a therapist about it. So there you go,my life story in about 5 sentences :)

Dell--I do try to be nice to myself...but like most, I am my worst critic.
Chocolate doesnt hurt
and hugs dont do any harm either!

Toffee...no it's not just at home. When I'm at someone's house, the need to straighten a picture on the wall until its "just right" and fringe on any rug...well
or a spotty plant in the bank or someone else's wad of paper on their desk...just sitting there when it should be in the waste basket...my stress relief comes from the garden...I weed "compulsively".... its a win/win siutuation altho it could be considered lose/lose...being that I dont have the use of my good hand, has greatly reduced the ability to 'resolve'...but adds to the anxiety of not being able to. I hate going on about myself....all the time...but feel the need to reply...see?....anyone else care to share?...

Mlb3c, my friends son has OCD but he has it extremely badly. Poor kid is only 15 but he has been in and out of mental health care hospitals since he was 7. The worst time was when he had a fixation with her car.

He'd 'escape' from the house even though they'd lock all doors and windows and hide the keys. They also had 6ft high wooden gates at the end of their drive, which they kept locked with a padlock but he'd somehow manage to unlock them, get into her car, let the handbrake off and roll it backwards into the road.

Once it was blocking the road he was happy and would go back to bed. The amount of times she'd been woken up by someone knocking the door to tell her that James had yet again managed to block the road!

He also had a fixation with flushing toilets and if he used one loo, he had to go and flush the other 2 she had as well!

Poor kid I felt quite sorry for him as not many kids would play with him. Mine were used to him though and just ignored his fixations. Youngest one rather liked James coming to 'play' though because James would obsessively tidy his room for him and it saved him a job!

He also has to eat his dinner in a certain order - clockwise round the plate and then stuff in the middle is last :D Might sound quite amusing but it is a highly stressful situation for my mate and her family.

James is a lovely kid though and it's just such a shame that some people are so blinkered that they can't see past his problems.

Oh yeah and Mlb3c I have to straighten the fringe on my rug in the lounge so I can relate to that one :D

i think everyone suffers slightly, im constantly lining things up, pictures,peices of paper,tins, cd's you name it anything that doesnt run parallel i will straighten it. I will only use a certain type of knife and fork and i will go as far as getting one out of the sink and washing it :eek: I will only use the straight edge of the rizla for my roach ;) I will not use the bottom half of the cig unless ive ran out and a rizla with a crease in it :mad: :mad: . I always leave a bit of tea in the bottom of the cup but appart from that and mild torretts im sound :LOL:

just a little reply....

I'm not alone....needed some reassurance...thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Back