Offered Something Else Besides Money

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering anyone got any stories on being offered other things besides money when working in someones property

And I don't just mean sex, anything at all, items etc...

Sponsored Links
I done a job for my sister once (family rates) just replacing some old leaky pipework under the sink, and flushing out their sludged up central heating system, (just a drain down, fill up, heat up, drain down, fill up agen) and adding x100

Anyway when I had finished I was just about to tell her what she owed me, I was charging her £30 for 2 hours work, then the mats on top, and she pulled out a cake and said thanks for doing that...!

So I just charged her for the mats in the end, I have a whole new view on doing jobs for family, I know they are blood related but still can't be working for free, or a cake at that, I have bills to pay too!

...some old leaky pipework under....

I was wondering, for a second where this might end up! :eek:

On a serious note though, (I'm not in the trade), i got asked by my brother and sister in law, to do a load of work with them, they said, "we can't pay you", but "you'll get fed while your here", i would have done TBH, but they then added, it'll take a few days, so you'll need to travel across each day - they live over 100 miles from me! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
At the end of the day, work out what profit you will make, and the time it will take you, if it balances out that you hardly make anything, I'd just say your busy.

Your would get lunch and tea maybe, and a few snacks inbetween, your profit would could come to not spending your own money on food, saving of max £15 a day.

If you travel over 100 miles a day to get there, then 100 miles back, your spending well over £15 for that alone!!

But if you have nothing else to do, and they will also cover travel costs, and you want to see your family, then thats different.

The leaky pipes were just a weeping iso and drain off so had to change them both.

What trade are you in Morrik?

...(I'm not in the trade)...

I do a few jobs, for friends, friends of friends etc. things like replacing fences, decking, a bit of plastering/plasterboarding - just small jobs or simple stuff. I like to think i do a good job, if the person is happy, then so am I. But I would DEFINATLY not label myself a tradesman! If it's something i can do, then it's likely that a real tradesman would either be too busy or have a bigger, better paid job to go to.

Would like (and trying) to do more, become more compinent etc, But if i get asked to do something which is too much/complicated, or i'm just not confident doing, i just tell the person so.

how about yourself?

I'm doing Plumbing, on my 3rd year, selling my car soon to get a van, opening my own business with a friend.

Had loads of experience and know alot of people who will pass me work so its all good :)

Years ago I repaired a walkie talkie for a trout farm bailiff & in return got free fishing for the day. :D

To divert slightly I would be horrified if a family member charged me for anything other than materials & expenses. I have done loads for family even losing money on the job.The returns should be plenty and if you only se your sister as a cash cow then I pity the lot of you.. Jeezus H trying to make money out of your sister is criminal

Thank God i'm not in your family and more importantly not mine if that's your attitude.

I'm out! :LOL:

Cheers

Richard

I got offered a cup of tea once, but it was earl grey so i said no

To divert slightly I would be horrified if a family member charged me for anything other than materials & expenses. I have done loads for family even losing money on the job.The returns should be plenty and if you only se your sister as a cash cow then I pity the lot of you.. Jeezus H trying to make money out of your sister is criminal

Thank God i'm not in your family and more importantly not mine if that's your attitude.

I'm out! :LOL:

Cheers

Richard

its a shame most familys are like most people now days, think of their selfs

trouble is with family,dont you notice it only works 1 way,ive been there and done it many times and when i need something in return they either are too busy(yeah right)or say it will cost this much for the job to be done,the only person who i never charged was a very good m8(rip)who in turn carried out all the jobs needed to keep my car/van on the road,the only thing we had to do was supply materials,i never charge my mum either but bless her she will always give me some sort of decent good will payment which always ends in an argument when i refuse it,im quite willing to help anyone out if there genuine but when they take the pi55 it stops after all im not a charity.

trouble is with family,dont you notice it only works 1 way,ive been there and done it many times and when i need something in return they either are too busy(yeah right)or say it will cost this much for the job to be done,the only person who i never charged was a very good m8(rip)who in turn carried out all the jobs needed to keep my car/van on the road,the only thing we had to do was supply materials,i never charge my mum either but bless her she will always give me some sort of decent good will payment which always ends in an argument when i refuse it,im quite willing to help anyone out if there genuine but when they take the pi55 it stops after all im not a charity.

thats to true

I once did some alarm wiring for my scout leader mate, he's a plumber & insisted I charge him. Although I think that may have been so that he did not owe me one & hence I could not call one in to fix my boiler :D

if you only se your sister as a cash cow...

Richard

£15 per hour, cash cow?

I need to be payed for my time, otherwise how am I going to live!

If I charged her like £40 per hour then your statement would be quite true, but the fact is, I took the Tesco Cheesecake and didn't charge her for the labour.

Sponsored Links
Back