Office electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon sparkies ,
Im building an office in my garage 50 - 60 meters from the house.
I as would be expected want power in the office/garage, but I dont want to dig up the patio or drive/pathway on route to the garage.
So can the armoured cable (i've gone for 10mm) be laid on the ground surface next to the fence.

I'm planning on using a contactum fuseboard with rcd & 1x 6amp 2x 32amp breakers in the garage , this will run 6 lights & 5 sockets in office + 8 sockets in garage/workshop & outside.

Can I use the earth rod at the house or do I need to put one in for the garage fuseboard?

part P ............yes I know its there :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you haven't already bought the cable, see if you can get hold of some concentric cable. It'll probably be cheaper.

Sponsored Links
So can the armoured cable (i've gone for 10mm) be laid on the ground surface next to the fence.
Can I use the earth rod at the house or do I need to put one in for the garage fuseboard?
No and YES
No and YES
Clear as mud.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

why? the op asked 3 questions.

So he did. The poor punctuation in the first three sentences, including the lack of a question mark, caused me to miss the first question.

Thanks one & all

Steve, I have the 10mm armoured cable already.
But out of interest how do you terminate that split conscentric stuff ? there isnt any armour on it so can it be used in the same way as the armoured cable?

Thanks for the help ban :)

So he did. The poor punctuation in the first three sentences, including the lack of a question mark, caused me to miss the first question.

So sorry Sir, I will undertake 1000 lines to humour your higher intellect :rolleyes: how about " I must bow to bans superior use of punctuation"

I must bow to bans superior use of punctuation

No F*** it you should have read the post correctly first time round, ok there was a missing ? but whos counting.

Doing it on a computer is cheating - who's to say you didn't just write it once, copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste etc. ie. 1,2,4,8...1024 and delete 24 of them (or some other iterative method that may or may not be quicker) :cool:

So sorry Sir, I will undertake 1000 lines to humour your higher intellect :rolleyes: how about " I must bow to bans superior use of punctuation"
How about you having the barest modicum of awareness that punctuation is there to help clarify the grammatical construction of your sentences, not to humour people of a higher intellect?

Afternoon sparkies ,
I'm building an office in my garage 50 - 60 meters from the house.
I, as would be expected, want power in the office/garage, but I don't want to dig up the patio or drive/pathway on route to the garage.
So can the armoured cable (i've gone for 10mm) be laid on the ground surface next to the fence?

No F*** it you should have read the post correctly first time round, ok there was a missing ? but whos counting.
No - if you think that people from whom you are seeking help should have to put more effort into working out what you are asking simply because you are lazy and can't be bothered to ask it properly, then your arrogance is disgusting and you should be the one to **** off because you do not deserve any assistance whatsoever.

With all due respect, if you had used better grammar, it would have been easier to read correctly first time round. :rolleyes:

Ok, so you've slated him for his poor punctuation, now how about answering the questions?

Can he put the cable on the ground, or does it have to be buried?
Can he use the earth rod at the house?

My thoughts: I can't see anywhere in the regs that expressly forbid laying swa on the ground. However it smacks of bad practice and the regs cover only underground and overhead supply as being deemed 'suitably protected'. I can see the local rodents having a feast on the PVC outer sheath. See regs run overhead (Regulation 412-05-01) or buried in the ground (Regulation 522-06-03). As for an earth electrode at the office end surely we need more information. If the supply is TNS surely it would be ok to run back Main Equipotential bonding to the dwelling even using the armour as an earth and 1 of the swa cores (if its 3 core) . However if the the supply is TNCS then the armour must be earthed at the dwelling end only and a TT system made at the office. I believe PME cannot be exported. Think that some of the more expert posters should take up the mantle. Personally can't see anything wrong with OP using a catenary, although he may have to concrete in a few poles

Can it not be cleated to the fence or buried?
Either would be preferable to laying it directly on the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back