Oftec help and advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im a merchanical and electrical engineer working for british aerospace and work on aircraft Tyhpoon and tornado. I work 32 hours a week with no overtime and am looking to find a second job "extra income"

Im looking at becoming self employed as a oftec technican doing oil boiler servicing and repairs in my local area on weekends and afternoons. i have been looking at 101,105e, 600 training courses and also start a basic plumbing course in Jan 2011.

The basic plumbing course will give me an appreiation off the task ahead but my main question will the 101,105e,600 course enable me to become fully qualified in this area if not what would you recommend as i want this to be profesional and not a cowboy.

Any comments or advice will be helpful from more knowledged persons thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
If you want it to become a profession then sign up at college to do an nvq.

Yes the oil courses you mention will qualify for oftec registration but you will also need back ground experience and knowledge. C&g plumbing courses aren't worth the paper their written on for that.

It's the same as if I did a quick basic electric course would you be happy for me to come wire up the euro fighter.

Things at BAe must be bad if it's a flat 32,I remember the good old days. ;)

If you want it to become a profession then sign up at college to do an nvq.

Yes the oil courses you mention will qualify for oftec registration but you will also need back ground experience and knowledge. C&g plumbing courses aren't worth the paper their written on for that.

It's the same as if I did a quick basic electric course would you be happy for me to come wire up the euro fighter.

Things at BAe must be bad if it's a flat 32,I remember the good old days. ;)

Yes things are not very good, so your advice is to try and do a nvq "2 or 3" then completeg oftec then carry on from there. Its a second job and self employed idea rather than full time job.
I understand the underskilled parts and want to do this correctly i.e. correct training for the job. Thanks

The oil course give you the basic for each module that they cover,they don't teach you every situation or how to work.

If you happy to go out with the basic quake and charge for it,that's your call but the trouble comes when things aren't text book and you have little experience to fall back on.

Unlike your environment at the minute their isn't a text book way of fixing everything.you'll soon pic it up though.

If you want my honest advice,forget plumbing,take you licences(jar66) and stay in the industry your in.
This industry has had it,a few more years and I'll be back fixing planes.

Don't care much for typhoon or tonka's.you could always try marshalls at Cambridge.

Sponsored Links
From what i can tell via other posts and information online, the oftec courses gives you a understanding at a level to enable you to pass the assesment but does not teach you the correct skills required to be a oil boiler engineer.
Any one recommend any courses that would benefit me thats able to complete part time i.e. maintain my employment.

In a ideal world i would like to be trained up to a high level so i can service oil boilers with confidence. Bearing in mind i have little plumbing experiance but a highly qualified engineering background.

The oil course give you the basic for each module that they cover,they don't teach you every situation or how to work.

If you happy to go out with the basic quake and charge for it,that's your call but the trouble comes when things aren't text book and you have little experience to fall back on.

Unlike your environment at the minute their isn't a text book way of fixing everything.you'll soon pic it up though.

If you want my honest advice,forget plumbing,take you licences(jar66) and stay in the industry your in.
This industry has had it,a few more years and I'll be back fixing planes.

Don't care much for typhoon or tonka's.you could always try marshalls at Cambridge.

Thanks i understand were your coming from i wont leave my aircraft background as im not far away from my EASA B2 Licence. i honestly would like a second income and oil boiler engineer seems a successfull second income with self employed status. Im a good engineer and worked in a food factory with a merchanical level 3 nvq which will help me out a little.. i.e. massive boilers althought there gas..

B2 makes you Avionics/Elec, which means you should be awesome at playing bridge. ;)

Which ever way you choose,good luck.

I did exactly what you are proposing but my circumstances were based on redundancy and being fed up with what I was doing.

I was a power station mechanical engineer (MSc and MIET) and project manager for over 30 years and I found getting the Oftec certification very straightforward (=easy).

I would recommend going on a couple of manufacturer's 'free' courses as they give you all the fault finding 'knowledge' for their kit and a little experience in the training centre. The rest of it will come on the road and if you're anything like me then your problem solving skills will already be well tuned!

Some manufacturers combine their own courses with the Oftec course/assessments and these are particularly good value both from a learning perspective and value for money.

What I did find when I started was that most people lie about when their boiler was last serviced...so assume never..... and they don't tell you that they have just run out of oil and dragged all the muck at the bottom of the tank into the burner pump and nozzle! (Or indeed that the local lads pi*s in the tank after a good night out!) I even had one customer exclaim that the last 'engineer' had never taken the burner apart to clean it and had never changed the nozzle in 20 years! I could tell , it was stuffed full of cat fur!

You will very quickly realise that a small range of essential spares 'on your van' is worthwhile as most faults are caused by the same, but different makers, parts. You also need to find your local parts supplier preferably very close by. I found Shoreheat very good but I was near their main warehouse! You will need a good quality combustion analyser that will need annual recalibration (best in the summer when it's quiet).

You will come across all sorts of manky old obsolete boilers which you would rather not touch but do so because it's good for business.

You also need Liabilty insurance just in case you wreck someone's house!

The richest customers never pay at the end of the job usually because... 'my husband has the cheque book today'.... oh yeh who are they kidding!

I'm not sure what value you will get out of the plumbing course unless you know nothing about domestic heating as you will find it very basic after your current work. Although basic heating control system knowledge is essential but you can get that from a book, the Oftec books are very good. I hated the plumbing bits and tried to avoid them and just concentrated on the boiler servicing and faultfinding which I really enjoyed. I progressed onto oil fired cookers but some of them are an abomination and very difficuklt to work on.

I ran my business for 5 years until ill health stopped me in my tracks but I enjoyed doing it from the perspective of learning a new skill, getting qualified and starting my own business. I would still be doing it now part-time if it wasn't for the cost of the combustion meter recalibration and insurance, accreditation, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is because you are a trained engineer you will very quickly learn the ropes and be successful. After all you are probably more capable and better qualified than many 'engineers' doing similar work. (Stands back and waits to be shot down in flames! :LOL: )

Go for it and good luck!

If you think you can go part time oil boiler servicing then forget it,scenario..youve just serviced Mrs Browns boiler and it breaks down while your at your other job? do you want to constantly smell of oil,do you want to be called out at night to unfreeze an oil pipe.

The Oftec club glamourise the oil industry just to put money in theyre own pockets.

Besides with the new range of combi condensing boilers,youll have to have a good knowledge of pressurised systems,cos its not all about the burner locking out.

Youll be better off putting the skills youve already got, to advance in the job youve already got.IMO

As already stated, the OFTEC course will teach you to answer the multiple choice questions so you can pay the fees to register. You are not supposed to be able to get registered now without vocational training or experience, but plenty will take your money withoutYou start learning as soon as you get to your first boiler, and will never stop.
You'll need to understand the principles of combustion of oil, ( though many seem to get by without that), as textbook settings aren't perfect. You will encounter lots of rubbish, and although this pays the money, you need to know when to walk away.
There's no need to always smell of oil, but a vehicle dedicated to the job is a distinct advantage.
People skills are very necessary, although I've been called in after many pounds have been paid to people who don't know what they're doing, but if you like to sleep at night ........ It will only take one legal challenge to put the wind up you, and believe me, in the areas you will be working, you will meet such people.

I did exactly what you are proposing but my circumstances were based on redundancy and being fed up with what I was doing.

I was a power station mechanical engineer (MSc and MIET) and project manager for over 30 years and I found getting the Oftec certification very straightforward (=easy).

I would recommend going on a couple of manufacturer's 'free' courses as they give you all the fault finding 'knowledge' for their kit and a little experience in the training centre. The rest of it will come on the road and if you're anything like me then your problem solving skills will already be well tuned!

Some manufacturers combine their own courses with the Oftec course/assessments and these are particularly good value both from a learning perspective and value for money.

What I did find when I started was that most people lie about when their boiler was last serviced...so assume never..... and they don't tell you that they have just run out of oil and dragged all the muck at the bottom of the tank into the burner pump and nozzle! (Or indeed that the local lads pi*s in the tank after a good night out!) I even had one customer exclaim that the last 'engineer' had never taken the burner apart to clean it and had never changed the nozzle in 20 years! I could tell , it was stuffed full of cat fur!

You will very quickly realise that a small range of essential spares 'on your van' is worthwhile as most faults are caused by the same, but different makers, parts. You also need to find your local parts supplier preferably very close by. I found Shoreheat very good but I was near their main warehouse! You will need a good quality combustion analyser that will need annual recalibration (best in the summer when it's quiet).

You will come across all sorts of manky old obsolete boilers which you would rather not touch but do so because it's good for business.

You also need Liabilty insurance just in case you wreck someone's house!

The richest customers never pay at the end of the job usually because... 'my husband has the cheque book today'.... oh yeh who are they kidding!

I'm not sure what value you will get out of the plumbing course unless you know nothing about domestic heating as you will find it very basic after your current work. Although basic heating control system knowledge is essential but you can get that from a book, the Oftec books are very good. I hated the plumbing bits and tried to avoid them and just concentrated on the boiler servicing and faultfinding which I really enjoyed. I progressed onto oil fired cookers but some of them are an abomination and very difficuklt to work on.

I ran my business for 5 years until ill health stopped me in my tracks but I enjoyed doing it from the perspective of learning a new skill, getting qualified and starting my own business. I would still be doing it now part-time if it wasn't for the cost of the combustion meter recalibration and insurance, accreditation, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is because you are a trained engineer you will very quickly learn the ropes and be successful. After all you are probably more capable and better qualified than many 'engineers' doing similar work. (Stands back and waits to be shot down in flames! :LOL: )

Go for it and good luck!

Thanks alot for your advice im getting mixed response.. And i have had a few years off fault finding and love the challenge. Thanks again..

Tipper's and slapper's posts are complimentary and correct IMO. If you use tools and not just run a desk, you can do oil servicing and fult finding standing on your head. (With some installations you will have to). Fault diagnosis is a rare ability in boiler servicing. Most guys just change bits until the fault goes.

Riello in Huntingdon do paid-for burner courses, but they are worth it. Boiler manufacturers run courses for free and are useful. NVQs are not needed and you will be bored witless I suspect. You will need tools test equipment and spares and consumables. £5000 will get eaten up. You will also need a vehicle that can take a fair weight. It's surprising how it adds up.

If you are doing fault fixing, you will not be able to fill all the other time with servicing as you need slack time to fit the faults into. Some take a few minutes, some take several hours (many in some cases) to fix. If you have a mortgage and family, life will be hard.

I will echo the comments about you needing lots of practical experience which you have implied you expect to learn on courses. Of course you cannot learn practical experience on courses ( to any great extent ).

Not only will you need experience on the oil burner side but there is the plumbing side which you will need to be totally competent with, pumps, circulation problems, controls and balancing.

Even if you only did servicing you would often need experience of the heating system side too.

Have you considered giving domestic computer setup and repairs instead? Far less costs and no registration required.

Tony

Tipper's and slapper's posts are complimentary and correct IMO. If you use tools and not just run a desk, you can do oil servicing and fult finding standing on your head. (With some installations you will have to). Fault diagnosis is a rare ability in boiler servicing. Most guys just change bits until the fault goes.

Riello in Huntingdon do paid-for burner courses, but they are worth it. Boiler manufacturers run courses for free and are useful. NVQs are not needed and you will be bored witless I suspect. You will need tools test equipment and spares and consumables. £5000 will get eaten up. You will also need a vehicle that can take a fair weight. It's surprising how it adds up.

If you are doing fault fixing, you will not be able to fill all the other time with servicing as you need slack time to fit the faults into. Some take a few minutes, some take several hours (many in some cases) to fix. If you have a mortgage and family, life will be hard.

I agree i am in a situation were i have time no family and no mortgage hench why i think this is the best time to get set up. Having no debts or commitment to hold me back as such thanks for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back