Oftec help and advice.

I will echo the comments about you needing lots of practical experience which you have implied you expect to learn on courses. Of course you cannot learn practical experience on courses ( to any great extent ).

Not only will you need experience on the oil burner side but there is the plumbing side which you will need to be totally competent with, pumps, circulation problems, controls and balancing.

Even if you only did servicing you would often need experience of the heating system side too.

Have you considered giving domestic computer setup and repairs instead? Far less costs and no registration required.

Tony

No i haven't thought of anything like that to be honest.

Sponsored Links
sorry to have to say this but this area is full of us, in st neots alone there is over 40 plumbers, just put ur postcode in the gas safe and oftec websites and see how many their is, it takes ages to get a good customer base as you have to break into the old companies customer base, depends where you are i suppose but you'll need to do a lot more than just the oftec course im afraid, sorry to put a downer on it but there is more supply than demand, my 1st 2 years were very tough, to the point I took home £55 one week in summer, you cant take that for too long. Going really well now but spent thousands advertising and to break this area you'll need a good £3K to throw at websites, papers etc to see what works the best. Once people in cambs find someone they rarely go elsewhere unless they get good recommendations etc.

I would see if you could gain employment locally with a oil supplier (in your area try SS Motors, Rix or Southern Counties) a good oil burner course is run at St Neots by EOGB (a Burner manufacturer,) they also offer OFTEC OFT 101 105E & 600A which would help you find empoyment as a senior apprentice, (we always welcome new entrants from the aero industry as you guys work to very strict standards (you cant just drop a spanner into the gearbox of a Helicopter!! (we like to meet newbies from Wattisham!!) if you wnat to do this don't be put off I've been in the industry for 36 years now, was made redundant once in 1982, but found a job with a competitor in Two days, i've been running my own business since 2003 and am very happy in this industry which is very friendly and most competitors do actually like to help each other out!

Good Luck. ;)

It is clear that the Oil fired boiler industry interest's you.
You have researched what competent person's scheme qualification is required.
The next step is to go and do it.

All the advice given so far is correct, the boiler is only 1 part of a complete system so knowledge of the plumbing side is essential albeit probably not as complicated as what you are working with now :LOL:

Getting a customer base is the harder part.

If you book your course the center will sell you the 4 technical books to study from.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Links
I would see if you could gain employment locally with a oil supplier (in your area try SS Motors, Rix or Southern Counties) a good oil burner course is run at St Neots by EOGB (a Burner manufacturer,) they also offer OFTEC OFT 101 105E & 600A which would help you find empoyment as a senior apprentice, (we always welcome new entrants from the aero industry as you guys work to very strict standards (you cant just drop a spanner into the gearbox of a Helicopter!! (we like to meet newbies from Wattisham!!) if you wnat to do this don't be put off I've been in the industry for 36 years now, was made redundant once in 1982, but found a job with a competitor in Two days, i've been running my own business since 2003 and am very happy in this industry which is very friendly and most competitors do actually like to help each other out!

Good Luck. ;)

Its good to hear some good feedback thanks alot for your advice. i have been looking at EGOB. Its a shame i think wattisham is a few hours drive away if not ill be asking you for a position. Thanks..

It is clear that the Oil fired boiler industry interest's you.
You have researched what competent person's scheme qualification is required.
The next step is to go and do it.

All the advice given so far is correct, the boiler is only 1 part of a complete system so knowledge of the plumbing side is essential albeit probably not as complicated as what you are working with now :LOL:

Getting a customer base is the harder part.

If you book your course the center will sell you the 4 technical books to study from.

Good Luck.

I have been getting in touch with training companys to buy books 1 - 4 oftec technical books to study while on dinner breaks and spare time at home. Thanks for your advice i do believe setting up equipment and tools and getting a customer base will be the hardest requirements.

Oh no not another short courser about to enter the industry :cry:

Look mate, take the following advice very seriously and inwardly digest.

You will not be able to start up and run a business soley servicing oil boilers part time.

You will need to train to at least NVQ level 2 as a minimum in plumbing and heating, then do your OFTEC.

I am giving this advice off the back of 30 odd years experience and have/run a successful business.

My brother was in the RAF as a Avionics Tech, before also working for Brittish waste of space. I have been around many RAF stations where he worked and at Warting. I know what his job entails and I am sorry to say it is not as difficult as people are led to believe.

I mean!! you have at your disposal air publications which, tell you exactly how to do your job, test and sequence for finding faults. Most of the time you just change out the black boxes, then pop them of for repair.

You will also have someone more experienced to fall back on for advice 99% of the time. Your workload and the environment in which, you work is nothing like the field in which, you want to enter. Your environment is childsplay believe me.

You will not have this luxury self employed believe me ;)

When a customer rings you they will expect a timeserved tradesman with a broad knowledge of the whole trade.

Example:

Mr ........

I have a problem, my boiler won't fire!

You in your shiny new van and tools speeds out to the rescue.....

to cut it short, the oil boiler is fine, it just won't fire in CH mode. It transpires it's the synchro in the MV head that is not working, it's an old MV that the head is non swapable and therefore, the system has to be drained to change the whole valve.

This is where the valve is under the floor or in a tight cupboard somewhere. The system could be a large old open vented which, will probably air lock when trying refill.

Are you getting the drift???? By this time it's time for you to toodle off back to your real job.

At this point you have to go to the customer and ideally explain that you have done a short course and do not have the experience to complete the job.

What is she going to think?????????

CUSTOMERS DO NOT AND WILL NOT CONVENIENTLY RING WHEN YOU ARE ON DOWN TIME, DAY OFF, EVENING OR AT WEEKENDS.

Running a business is not childs play it takes up a lot of your time and does COST money....

Training/time to do training, van, tools, and office equipment easily £8000 upwards.

Recurring costs:

Advertising Min £1000 you'll need this, this is how customers will find you! :LOL:

Insurance....public £250
van £300
Stock £350
registration fee's £100 for 5 years
tool replacement £150
calibration/repair £175
accountant £500

So all in all around £3000 outlay a year and that does not cover everything, I just can't be arzed typing any more. i just put down the obvious.

People on here and the majority 95% of which are short course idiots as well, will give you advice or lead you to believe that they are successful.

Just have a look at the amount of time they spend on here and some of the stupid questions they post and think.........would a timeserved professional who runs a busy business have the time or the inclination to spend time on here??

Spend your time and training enhancing and getting on in the field which, you are in.

Don't waste thousands trying to retrain, there are many more experienced people/businesses out there who you cannot compete with. You will be no better off in the long run trying to retrain and run a business part time...YOU WILL BE WORSE OFF both finnancially and time wise.

I have given this advice in good faith, you have been WARNED!!

An NICEIC, OFTEC, Gas Safe and MCS Registered installer/business.

Sorry, but one more bit of advice.

These training companies or colleges will tell you exactly what you want to hear i.e plenty of work out their, shortage of plumbers etc etc.

They want your money and could not give a jot what happens to you afterwards.

Try a bit of research, ring around the established companies within a 30 mile radius of where you intend to work. Ask if they are looking for plumbers or oil fired heating guy's.

Now if there is an abundance of work for oil guy's or plumbers then surely you will get an interview, I suspect the answer will be that they are not taking on at the moment and to send a CV for the file.

You could also try an other approach, tell them you hace done a plumbing course and oftec course, but need to gain employment to complete the NVQ......See what response you get.

The industry is now at breaking point and 99% of reputable businesses are sick of short course entrants, they will not employ you.

Think very carefully before giving up a job where you are.

An NICEIC, OFTEC, Gas Safe and MCS Registered installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back